Does anyone remember when the BIG EAST had Louisville, Rutgers, and West Virginia ranked in the Top 10? I do. It feels like so long ago when that conference was good and respectable. I do not see that happening any time soon with how bad the BIG EAST is being gutted. They need to focus on basketball and just let it be!
That is my rant. Now onto how crazy the season is starting to unfold. No one believes me but I still think Oklahoma will be playing Alabama for the national title. It is just what the BCS Gods will give us.
1) LSU and Alabama got so much media attention this week I still feel like they beat up some team while preparing for each other. I hope all this hype is worth it and we have a great game. 3-0 final score will do nothing for me. I hope It is another 24-21 edge of your seat thrill ride.
2) Oklahoma State showed us all that you just need an offense to outscore the other team. Defense is optional. They lead 28-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. WOW. I would love to see their offense vs a BAMA/LSU defense. I am betting they would finally hit a brick wall when they play! Oklahoma State will not get that chance because Oklahoma is going to crush them on national tv and use that game to propel themselves into the National title game over an undefeated Boise State. Oklahoma already did what I said last week...CRUSHED Kansas State. They are sitting at #6 in the BCS and will have more movement then a fire drill by seasons end!
Kansas State, you had a great season but the run is over. Now all you can do is beat Oklahoma State so Oklahoma can not use them as a spring board into the title game.
3) Arkansas and South Carolina both took care of business so they can make their game mean more even though they both have a loss. South Carolina needs some help after barely putting away Tennesseee. I bet they are missing Garcia and Lattimore. Arkansas is clicking still despite injuries and dirty play. That hit on the Punt return has no place in the game of football. He should be suspended for a game or two. The hit was bad but then taunting the fans and cheering for the pain he caused that defenseless player. The NFL wants aggressive players, not DIRTY players.
South Carolina needs the win to stay in the lead of the SEC EAST race...
3) because Georgia is suddenly a good team. despite going 0-2 they have won 6 straight. They beat my Gators but man was it ugly for both teams. Georgia showed it had a little more going in the run game and consistent QB play. Now it is 4 out of the last 22 meetings they have won! Georgia is also making Boise State look good by winning. Imagine if Georgia wins out and somehow beats LSU or Bama in the SEC TITLE game. Does that give Boise State and "IN" to the title game vs....uh oh...Oklahoma. Keep watching...still alot of football to be played.
On a side note...VANDY and FLORIDA both started 4-0...and both have now lost 4 straight. Something has to give this saturday.
4) Nebraska showed it has some life still. The BLACKSHIRTS handled Michigan State and showed they want a spot in the BIG-10 Title game. Michigan State must have had a HAIL MARY we BEAT WISCONSIN hangover from last week. The BIG-10 race is also a close one. Wisconsin feels like crud after allowing another last second "hail mary" type play bury them vs Ohio State. Also in the BIG-10, Penn State finally shoveled its offense out of the snow and beat Illinois. Penn State still has one loss and it is only to Alabama. I am still unsure of who will be in the first BIG-10 title game.
5) Stanford showed it can get it done in a wild atmosphere. The game between USC and Stanford felt like the good old TROJAN days. The coliseum felt alive and USC gave LUCK all he could handle. Kiffin should be punished for the dumb call at the end of the game not criticizing officials. He called a screen pass with 9 seconds to go...those plays take at least 3-4 seconds to develop and then another 3-4 seconds to be over but WOODS made the play last which seemed like an eternity. As soon as the game went to Overtime I knew Stanford would win. I wish it just did not end on a silly fumble. Barkley deserved to have the ball in his hands at all times. 2 geat QBs going at it into Triple overtime was a great way to end the night of college football. Stanford now has Oregon in 2 weeks. They have enough time to prepare for the speed spread offense. The scheduling Gods did Stanford a favor!
6) Speaking of Oregon, does the offense look even better with the backup QB and True Freshmen RB running the show? I hear alot of people saying that but think it is just another distraction for a one loss team trying to get back into the title game. It is a system offense and whoever you plug in will get it done! Let us look at the "passing" numbers and that will show who is the better QB! Oregon struggled to put away Washington State in the beginning but later rolled on them. It is a fast paced offense. Try to keep up! Do not over look Washington next week because they will jump up and get you. All Boise State fans need Washington to win and then Oregon to beat Stanford. Just in case you are checking
7) Georgia Tech did what other teams have been trying to do all season. STOP CLEMSON. Turnovers buried Clemson and by the time they got rolling it was to late. It was fun while it lasted but I really hope Clemson moves on and still gets to the ACC TITLE game. They have been fun to watch and I do not want to see them give up! Get that ACC title.
8) Houston...WOW 73-34. The only thing that stopped the Houston offense was the rain. Congrats to Keenum for breaking the record of NCAA TD passes. He threw 9 td passes in the game once the rain stopped.He probably could have had another 4 that night if the coach let him. The Houston WR's ran wild on RICE. I do not think that Houston is a worthy BCS buster but I do think they are a fun team to watch. Look for Houston's coach to try and be snatched up again this season! If I was him, I would stay at Houston. Good school and good recruiting base!
9) A situation has come to my attention. So what happens if LSU beats Alabama but then Arkansas beats LSU at the end of the season. It could be a Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech 2008 all over again. Anyone know how that would work out? Bama beats arkansas who beats LSU who beats Alabama? Does the BCS standings take over to decide things? Just curious and would like some insite. Who plays in the SEC title game and then who plays for the national title. the BCS Gods pray for LSU or Bama to win out!
10) What a mess the BIG EAST has gotten itself into with football. Have fun traveling 3000 miles for football when Boise State has to play UCONN. Oh wait this week Boise State only travels to Houston. Not as far as when they have to travel to play UCF or USF. As you can tell I am not thrilled. It is going to be a mess. I will respect Boise State if they stay in the MWC. UCF should goto the BIG EAST. Houston and SMU should beg the BIG-12 to take them even if they take a paycut to start off in the conference. The BIG-12 needs to swallow its pride and invite those teams. The BIG EAST to swallow its pride and tell its football teams that they had a good run but it is over. The teams being invited need to take note of how desperate the BIG EAST is and avoid that sinking ship or tell the BIG east to give them HUGE payouts from TV contracts if they join the conference.
Just to make a mess of things I hope the SEC invites North Carolina or Duke to the SEC. They bring basketball and thats about it but it would certainly have everyone scratching their heads.
The season is far from over and it is turning into a good one. I look forward to seeing the conference races heat up and also watching the "real" National title game this week in Alabama.
Now onto some picks
Florida 42 Vanderbilt 21 (Gators need it to bad to lose)
Southern Miss 38 East Carolina 31 (winner controls C-USA division)
Baylor 42 Missouri 31 (Griffin gets it done)
Alabama 24 LSU 17 (Saban beats the mad hatter)
Washington 45 Oregon 42 *UPSET*
Arkansas 28 South Carolina 21 (keep SEC EAST and WEST race close)
Oklahoma 70 Texas A&M 24 (OU is needing some style points)
Northwestern 31 Nebraska 20 *UPSET* (Pelini has let down game here)
Michigan 38 Iowa 24 (Robinson scores more points than IOWA by himself)
Cincinnati 27 Pittsburgh 20 (Winner is sadly but true in 1st place of BIG EAST)
Any other games worth picking? Would love to hear back from the readers. Keep me posted on your thoughts and picks. As for Wisconsin...play a Prevent Defense better this week vs Purdue!