You know, some of you may say hey, you are the only one that thinks this, but others will see otherwise. So I will try to persuade you that I think this is true.
If you are a Chargers fan, you may know a little something about this Californian Boy..., and you might just learn another part of this guy in the speaking of him. So Here it goes:
Here were his statistics, so you get an idea of what he did:
- 254 Touchdowns
- 242 Interceptions
- 43,040 Yards
- 80.2 QB Rating
I know, I know, you first take a look at this and say, WHAT? Because, he has only 12 more TD's than INT's... Well, I have news for you, nobody is perfect, and even the best make mistakes. I don't think the fact that he has 242 INT's should excuse him from being noticed because of this.
He has had a good run over the years too. Take a look at his accomplishments:
- 6x Pro Bowl selection (1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985)
- NFL 1980s All-Decade Team
- 1982 NEA MVP
- 1982 PFWA MVP
- 1982 AP Offensive Player of the Year
- 1982 UPI AFC Offensive Player of the Year
- 1979 Pro Bowl MVP
- 1979 PFWA MVP
- 1979 UPI AFL-AFC MVP
- Pro Football Hall Of Famer
- Chargers Career Passing Yards Leader
- Chargers Career Touchdowns Leader
- San Diego Chargers #14 Jersey retired
Great Facts About Dan Fouts:
- 3rd QB ever to have back to back 4,000 YD seasons
- Had THREE 4,000 YD seasons in a row from 1979-1981
- Led the NFL In Passing Yards for 4 Consecutive Seasons
- Led Chargers to 2 AFC Championships (Both Losses)
- Held NFL Record for Most Yards passed in 1 season, AT THE TIME
- Gained over 20 TD's in Starting Seasons
- Only 1 of 7 QB's to get a back to back 30 TD season
- In 1992, he was ranked #92 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players.
He didn't win a Superbowl, no. He didn't even make a superbowl. However, is that all you really look at to see if a guy is good? Not me, no. I think Dan Marino is the best QB ever, even though he never won a Superbowl. The fact is, you don't have to win championships to be great. There are TONS of Hall Of Famers that have not won a championship, in a lot of sports. Does this make him less of value to the franchises, and the Sport itself? No, it doesn't. Also, if you may or may not have notcied, Dan Fouts played from 1973 to 1987, with other good QB's in the league, like:
- Warren Moon
- Bob Griese
- Joe Montana
You can't knock out Dan Fouts, just because these 3 other quarterbacks are on the list of who played int he late 70's and early 80's. Dan Fouts was a good player. He led the Chargers and had many accomplishments as listed above.
Last, I will give another piece of information. Dan Fouts NEVER usually ran the SHOT-GUN formation. He was always a one form, drop back style QB. He wouldn't often get sacked either, which was a good thing too. He was NOT a Mobile Quarterback, and that adds onto the surprise that he did not get sacked often. So I will leave it at this, and hopefully, you will see through, that he is an underrated QB, because I did a bunch of research over this, and I think that this is correct, and he is an underrated QB.
As always, thank you for reading, and please leave a comment, if you will.