Welcome to Week 2 of the college football season, we had a few surprises last week and I am ready for some more this week hopefully...
At the two new campuses in the SEC, the ESPN trucks will be rolling in and Faurot Field and Kyle Field will be packed with fans as Texas A&M hosts #24 Florida(2:30 PM-ESPN) and Missouri hosts #7 Georgia(6:45 PM-ESPN2).
After watching Florida's offense against Bowling Green, it seems like the Gators will continue to struggle moving the football this season. I do like the move to name Jeff Driskell as the starter at quarterback though. Hurting the Aggies is the fact their opener at Louisiana Tech was postponed due to Hurricane Isaac. Pick: Florida 17, Texas A&M 7
Sheldon Richardson tweeted that he stopped watching Georgia's 45-23 win over Buffalo because it was boring...Well, be prepared to see an offense that "is boring" throwing for 258 yards and running for 227 yards in their opener. Look for Todd Gurley to have a big day for the Dawgs as they ruin the Tigers SEC debut. Pick: Georgia 28, Missouri 17
How will teams bounce back...
I'm interested to see how two teams respond to losses in week 1. Vanderbilt had played South Carolina tough and had a late lead before falling 17-13. They travel to Evanston, Illinois to play Northwestern. One thing that will happen is a lot of scoring in this game. Look for Cain Kolter to account for 2 TDs rushing for the Wildcats and Zac Stacy will run for over 100 yards for Vandy. Pick: Northwestern 28, Vanderbilt 20
What's the best way to recover from a 27 point beating? A. Play a team that runs the ball a ton, B. Play a MAC opponent at home, C. Play Savannah St....Well, the Wolverines gave up 232 yards rushing and 441 yards in total offense to Alabama and will host an Air Force team that ran for 484 yards in their opening win. I know that Air Force is not Alabama and Michigan is not Idaho State, but 484 rushing yards is still alot. This is my upset pick of the week!!!!! Pick: Air Force 38, Michigan 34
1. QB Geno Smith-West Virginia: 32-36 323 yards 4 TDs 0 INTs in a 69-34 win over Marshall.
2. RB Le'Veon Bell-Michigan State: 44 carries 210 yards 2 TDs, 6 rec. 55 yards in a 17-13 win over Boise State.
3. QB Matt Barkley-USC: 23-38 372 yards 4 TDs 0 INT in a 49-21 win over Hawaii.
1. Alabama 1-0
2. USC 1-0
3. LSU 1-0
4. Florida St. 1-0
5. Oregon 1-0
Team I would love to schedule...
Savannah St, who lost 84-0 at Oklahoma State, next up is #4 Florida State.
Team I would hate to schedule...
Ohio, who won at Penn State 24-14, next up is New Mexico State at home.
Games that interest me....
East Carolina(1-0) @ #9 South Carolina(1-0) 11:21 AM
- A banged up Connor Shaw is not good for a Carolina offense that needs a second weapon behind Marcus Lattimore.
- QB Rio Johnson looked great for the Pirates in their 35-13 win against Appalachian State. Johnson threw for 242 yards and scored 3 TDs.
- Pick: South Carolina 27, East Carolina 14
#2 USC(1-0) v. Syracuse(0-1) 2:30 PM-ABC
- I know USC's offense will put up yardage and points, I want to see if the Trojans defense can slow down Orange QB Ryan Nassib, who threw for 470 yards in 'Cuse's 42-41 loss to Northwestern.
- Pick: USC 45, Syracuse 28
#16 Nebraska(1-0) @ UCLA(1-0) 6:30 PM-FOX
- Johnathan Franklin ran for 214 yards and 3 TDs against Rice last week and will be facing a Nebraska defense that allowed 185 yards rushing to Southern Miss.
- If Rex Burkhead is not 100%, will Taylor Martinez be able to throw for 354 yards agains the Bruins?
- Pick: Nebraska 17, UCLA 14
Illinois(1-0) @ Arizona State(1-0) 9:30 PM-ESPN
- If Nathan Scheelhaase's ankle is not healed, look for a steady dose of Josh Ferguson and company for the Illini, who ran for 115 yards last week.
- I thought Todd Graham loved to throw the ball? Look for ASU to run a ton with Marion Grice, who ran for 107 yards and 3 TDs last week.
- Pick: Arizona State 21, Illinois 10
Last Week: 3-1
Enjoy the games this week!!!!!