As we wind down to the end of 2012, there isn't a ton of big news to talk about, especially during this holiday week. The Stack has done my best to find a couple of things to talk about and today it's the NFL Pro Bow, because I refuse to talk any more about Tim Tebow and the 6-9 New York Jets who get way more time and attention than they deserve from the varioius networks and other media platforms. So let's get right to it and see what's in "the stack" for today, Thursday, December 27:
NFL Pro Bowl rosters announced
The NFL announced the NFC and AFC Pro Bowl rosters Wednesday night. Rather than go pick by pick, let's take a look at some of the surprises and also some of the players who were robbed...
AFC Surprise picks
- QB Matt Schaub (Texans). Could make an argument that Colts QB Andrew Luck should have gone given what he has done this year. He may still have his chance as one of the three AFC QB's (Manning, Brady or Scaub) should be in the Super Bowl.
- Five Kansas City Chiefs. For having a 2-13 record, the NFL surely thinks highly of the Chief. RB Jamaal Charles, OLB Tamba Hali, MLB Derrick Johnson, SS Eric Berry and P Dustin Colquitt all made it. Charles and Colquitt I have no issues with, but three defensive players on a team that hasn't been that good defensively makes no sense. How many times has a team sent over twice as many players as they have wins to the Pro Bowl?
NFC Surprise picks
- C Jeff Saturday (Packers). Clearly given this award based on his resume. He was benched last week for crying out loud! Bad, bad pick. He has not had a great season.
Pro Bowl snubs
- Andrew Luck (QB, Colts). Again, for reasons mentioned above, what he did this season as the number one overall pick is remarkable. He should get in as an alternate as one of the three AFC quarterbacks will be in the Super Bowl.
- John Sullivan (C, Vikings). Dominant year, helping lead the Vikings vaunted rushing attack and should have gone over Saturday of the Packers.
- Matt Kalil (T, Vikings). The rookie has allowed one sack I think all year and he has really done a phenominal job against the best ends in the game. Few penalties, he should have gone.
- Chad Greenway (OLB, Vikings). Perhaps I have an agenda here (I don't), but seeing as many Vikings games as I do being in the area, Greenway continues to get overlooked, though it is tough when you have other linebackers like DeMarcus Ware, Patrick Willis and Clay Matthews, it is awfully tough to get in. He should make it as a sub if someone backs out due to injury or the Super Bowl.
Pro Bowl will be played the week before the Super Bowl, Sunday, January 27 on CBS.
College Bowl games tonight
Military Bowl 3:00 PM ET ESPN
San Jose State vs. Bowling Green (PICK: San Jose State)
Belk Bowl 6:30 PM ET ESPN
Cincinnati vs. Duke (PICK: Cincinnati)
Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl
Baylor vs. UCLA (PICK: UCLA)
Coming up Friday: NFL week 17 preview and predictions