As wrong and sacrilegious as it is, I must confess to the ultimate sin of a football fan. In this past season, I temporarily abandoned my Cincinnati Bengals, and sought comfort in what seemed to be an ever-expanding fanbase. For one winter, I was no longer a Bengal fan, I instead rooted for every team playing the New England.
And for four or five months, it was a one-sided relationship. True, there were close calls, like the Baltimore game and the Philly game, but alas, these brief glimpses at unseating perfection were snatched away at the last second, like Lucy stealing the ball away from Charlie Brown.
But, in case you've been living under a rock for the past couple weeks, the football gods did bless us once for our unwavering hatred of all things New England. That's right. Superbowl 42. And in the words of U2, it was simply "the sweetest thing."
In other news-I believe it's that time of year again. That's right-it's time for me to predict anyone but the Red Sox to make it to the World Series!
Nah, my World Series prediction this year was about to be the Tigers, until I remembered that they still had the rights to Kenny Rogers.
So instead, I forecast that the Phillies and the Yankees will meet in the World Series. Me being incredibly biased towards the Pinstripers, I also predict that they will fail to lose a regular season game and that Phillip Hughes will have an era in the mid to late 1's.
I'm getting annoyed at all the Power Rankings in the sports world right now, so I've decided to create my own kind of Rankings: The Streakers. Yes, the Streakers. Each week, I will decide which teams have been running wild in the past week. So, the Streakers week one.....
The Streakers: Week One
5. The New York Mets' stock is rising. As we head into Spring Training, everybody seems to be placing their bets on the Metropolitans. Where is Jimmy Rollins?
4. Pau Gasol. Has been anointed the Messiah in Los Angeles, and the cause of everyone's problems everywhere else in the NBA. Pau Gasol is why the Suns made gave up too much to get Shaq, and why the Mavs had to sacrifice Harris for Kidd. And he has done nothing but bolster the Lakers into contention. Note: Gasol also is responsible for famine, depression, and the low employment rates.
3. New Orleans is on a roll. They just hosted the Dunk Contest, and the NBA threw in some kind of pickup game after that for compensation. The N'Orleans Hornets may be the best team in the Alpha-Conference West. Oh, and they drafted Reggie Bush.
2. Will Ferrell is milking this Sports Comedy for every penny it's worth, and I don't see an end anywhere soon. Appears in the Swimsuit edition, has a new movie comin' on the way, and he's FREAKING WILL FERRELL.
1. The Lakers have had one heluva week. With their win over the Suns last night, people began to wonder... Kobe knows how to pass? A title year?