The Los Angeles Dodgers suffered their fifth loss of Spring Training, losing to the New York Mets in today's game. As usual, the Mets scored the winning-run in the bottom of the ninth inning, after Anderson Hernandez whipped an RBI single through the infield. With a loss to the Nationals in yesterday's late game, the Dodgers are looking to grab another win tomorrow against the Boston Red Sox.
1) During a Pre-Game Warm-Up session, Jeff Kent experienced pain in his hamstring. He underwent an examination and it has been determined that the second-baseman will be out for at least a week.The Dodgers didn't have a good day, losing their game and an honorable starter to a minor injury in less than twenty-four hours.
2) Brad Penny pitched three stellar innings today, surrendering only one run on three hits. The ace also struck our four batters. Like most Dodger fans, I am confident that he will succeed once again in the Regular Season.
3) Johan Santana countered Penny's performance by pitching three innings with almost identical statistics. Considering that Santana was named as the best pitcher in baseball, it is reassuring to know that our very own Brad Penny can produce similar statistics. It should be a close match for the National League's Cy Young Award.
4) Jason Repko went two for two in today's game with an RBI. The right-fielder also stole his first base of Spring Training in the Dodgers' loss to the Mets. However, Repko is not a guaranteed starter for the 2008 Regular Season, but will be an integral component to our depth in the outfield. Kemp is expected to be the starting right-fielder for the upcoming Regular Season.
5) Mike Koplove pitched a perfect inning today with two strikeouts. This relief pitcher is truly inconsistent, pitching wildly during some of his outings, such as earlier in the week, and yet, as evident in today's performance, pitching like an All-Star. During the Regular Season, he will hopefully pitch like an All-Star and hold the Dodgers' bullpen together.
The Dodgers aren't performing like a championship-caliber organization at the moment. Lets get a win by defeating the 2007 World Champions tomorrow and work to regain our prestigious reputation in Major League Baseball!
Blog Note: I am on a business trip at the moment and may not be able to update this blog later in the week.