Here are my pre-season MLB Power Ranks:
1. Boston Red Sox- The Sox are coming off a world series win with pretty much the same players as last year. They have great pitchers in Beckett, Dice-K, and Schilling, and they have some nice hitters in Ramirez and Ortiz. Boston is a great young team and as of now, they should be #1 in all power ranks, including ours!
2. Detroit Tigers- One of the more active off-season teams, the Tigers have definetely improved themselves with their moves this off-season. They acquired a former Cy-Young winner in Dontrelle Willis and a great 3rd basemen in Miguel Cabrera. The Tigers were already a top 5 team but those moves have pushed them up to #2. Them and the Sox will fight for first place all season.
3. New York Mets- Yah, the Mets are probably over-hyped going into the season this year but still.... they only had one bad month last year and only missed the playoffs in their last game of the season. The one thing they were missing was a great pitcher who could take over ballgames. They got that in Johan Santana. Getting Santana and having a great team already will give the Mets the edge in a weak NL.
4. Los Angelos Angels- Last year, the Angels were one of the more underrated teams in baseball. Still they reached 90 wins with Vlad on a down year. He is likely to rebound this year and imagine how many wins they will get then? Ya, that's right, last season was no fluke so you better watch out for the Angels this season. Especially in one of the MLB's weakest divisions.
5. Cleveland Indians- I may have severely underrated the Indians here. They have great pitching, good batting, and good fielding. The only reason they aren't higher is that they play in a very tough division with the Tigers, Twins, and the former world series winners. Still they can play with the best of 'em and will be right in the top 5 all season probably.
6. Los Angelos Dodgers- Here is where it gets harder to rank teams accurately. The Dodgers could not be considered so good last year but still, they got a great new manager and Andruw Jones. Jones was bad last year but still... he will probably rebound and be great again. Also they play in a very tough division which will make things tough for them. That's why they fell to 6th. Still they can certainly go up as the season progresses.
7. New York Yankees- The only reason the Yanks are this low is because I'm a Mets fan and therefore are prejudiced against them. Still, I sadly must have the Yanks in the top 10 and anything lower than this would make these rankings very inaccurate. The Yanks are returning with pretty much the same team except for the loss of a steroids user which can't hurt so much. Sure, they lost out on the Santana sweepstakes but they still have a great team anyway.
8. Colorado Rockies- Last season was no fluke. A 25-game winning streak is very good. They still have the league's best fielding unit and have a good team for batting with Holiday and Helton as well. Their pitching might have been a fluke a little but it is still young and improving. Definetely expect to see the Rockies in the playoffs next season.
9. Seattle Mariners- The guys from Seattle are a team that generally everyone forgets about. They were fabulous toward the end of last season and should only improve this year. They are in my 9 spot for that reason and the fact that that is the name of my baseball team this season!
10. Arizona Diamondbacks- They are also probably underrated on this list but I couldn't find a spot any higher for them. They won a tough division last year and have nearly the same team. They will be in a fight for the division all season probably.