I know this isnt 100% sports relevent but I'd like to give Bob Barker and The Price is Right some love.
As many (if not all) of you know, yesterday marked the airing of the final new episode of the Price is Right featuring Bob Barker as host. I grew up watching the Price is Right and am a lifelong fan of the show. Having said that I'd like to take a look back at what makes the Price is Right what it is and at what made yesterday's finale so special. First let's look at the finale...
There were many things that made the finale memorable. For instance the two contestants who squared off in the showdown. It went something like this: "Ladies and gentlemen, in this corner...**** Wee Herman! And in the opposite corner...the lady whose IQ was about 4 with the most annoying voice in history of the show!" **** Wee was soundly defeated.
Something else that made the finale memorable was that you had some stereotypical contestants. For instance you had the big fat guy from Canada who fell over his own two feet when he "came on down" that later went on to give the big wheel one the biggest spins it's ever seen. He really threw his gut into that spin. Then you had the woman with maybe the weirdest name in the history of the show that almost had a total and complete meltdown when her name was called. Then when she got up on stage I thought she was gonna stop breathing.
And of course you cant have a Price is Right finale without a greuling game of Plinko. I'm not 100% sure of this but was yesterday the first time that each prize used to win another Plinko Chip had the last number of the price being the right one? Who knows. It was a bummer though that the contestant only won $1500 in Bob's last Plinko game.
So those are some of the things that made yesterday's finale memorable. But there were plenty of things that makes the Price is Right fantastic that didnt happen in the finale. So here's a list of what makes the Price is Right what it is.
1) The most feminine microphone in the business. For every episode ever Bob has had that pencil thin microphone. Now it's on Ebay and last I heard the bidding was up to $1900. Crazy aint it?
2) The Plinko stick. The stick that Bob used to get stuck Plinko chips unstuck. How does one of those Plinko Chips get stuck anyway? Does gravity take time off when Plinko is being played?
3) The Plinko game itself. Plinko is considered by many to be the greatest game in the history of The Price is Right. Yet amazingly noone ever won the $50000 prize. The most $10000 slot hits is either two or three. Youd think some chump would get lucky and hit the slot in the middle more often than that.
4) Ladies (and sometimes men too) kissing Bob on the cheek. I was really surprised when nobody male or female kissed Bob yesterday. That's just wrong. Doesnt the man deserve a kiss on his last show? I know I'd kiss Bob if given the opportunity. Not that I'm **** it's just that...well...who wouldnt do that if given the opportunity?
5) Bob teasing the contestants. I love it every time Bob starts to flip down the cover and then turns and says something to the contestant in order to further delay the revelation of whether or not the contestant is a winner. He has done this 7 or 8 times it seems before he finally reveals the news. Dont you feel sorry for the ones who he teases and then reveals to them that they lose?
6) The $1 bid. It's the most famous and maybe the most common bid in the history of The Price is Right. Whoever did that first was a genius.
7) The x+1 bid. It's maybe the second most famous bid in Price is Right history. When someone thinks everyone else has underbid so they go $1 more than the highest bid. Whoever did that first was just mean. I think the oriental girl last night had **** Wee do that to her about 3 times before he finally got up on stage.
8) The old grannies. Isnt it fun when the 89 yera old ladies get up to come on down? It may not be very wise for the Price is Right to have grannies come on down. If one falls and breaks a hip it'll be the end of CBS studios as we know it. What's even funnier is when they make their bid and they forget what everyone else bid and what the prize theyre bidding on is. Then if they somehow manage to get on stage Bob has to repeat the rules about 5 times and then by the time they spin the wheel Bob has to help them out. Which brings me to number 9.
9) Bob helping people spin the wheel. I can understand needing help if you are said granny but when people who are in their mid twenties ask Bob for help spinning the wheel it's just sickening. Get up there and spin the wheel for cryin out loud!
10) People falling down while spinning the wheel. This could have been mentioned under the "yesterday" part of this note but it seems to go well here. People are often so intent on getting the wheel all the way around that they fall down from spinning the wheel so hard. Pathetic.
11) The booing ritual when the wheel doesnt go all the way around. If you dont get it all the way around you deserve to be booed!
12) Have your pets spayed or neutered! It's not the Price is Right until Bob says those magical words..."Help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered!"
So there's some of the things that make the Price is Right so special. If there's anything that I left out feel free to let me know! God bless Bob Barker and let's hope the next host does just as well although the Price is Right will never be the same.