The Los Angeles Lakers contact the Sacramento Kings Regarding Small Forward Ron Artest:
According to numerous league sources, the Los Angeles Lakers have strong interest in aquiring Ron Artest in a trade. Many people believe that the Lakers would include forward Lamar Odom, who is extremely inconsistant in many fan's minds.
And if you attempt this trade on ESPN's Trade Machine, the salaries would match up, so you would have to throw in Kenny Thomas' 2-year, $18 million contract. A different swap that I believe could work out from both perspectives would be Sacramento sending Kenny Thomas, Quincy Douby, Ron Artest, and Shelden Williams to Los Angeles for Chris Mihm, Luke Walton, and Lamar Odom (and his $14 million expiring contract).
Here is what the Lakers and Kings rosters would resemble this:
C: Andrew Bynum, Ronny Turiaf, Shelden Williams
PF: Pau Gasol, Vladimir Radmanovic, Kenny Thomas
SF: Ron Artest, Trevor Ariza
SG: Kobe Bryant, Sasha Vujacic, Coby Karl, Joe Crawford
PG: Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar
C: Brad Miller, Spencer Hawes, Jason Thompson
PF: Lamar Odom, Mikki Moore, Shareef Abdur-Rahim
SF: Francisco Garcia, Luke Walton, Patrick Ewing Jr.
SG: Kevin Martin, John Salmons
PG: Beno Udrih, Anthony Johnson, Sean Singletary
It seems like at this point, both teams need an extra piece (James Posey for LA and Keyon Dooling for Sacramento). Overall, this trade would improve both teams respectively. The Lakers would be getting a tough, defensive specialist in Ron Artest. On the other hand, the Kings finally get a scorer and needed rebounder in Lamar Odom, who can put up great stats in Sacramento.
The Los Angeles Clippers Are Looking Turn To Forwards Josh Smith And Emeka Okafor:
Oviously, the Los Angeles Clippers were devistated after the were told that their superstar forward, Elton Brand, had signed a five-year contract to play in Philadelphia for the 76ers. Now, with some much cap room after the departures of Elton Brand and Corey Maggette, the Clippers need to please newly aquired point guard Baron Davis with a star play to play alongside him, most prefferably a power forward.
That is where the idea of Josh Smith and Emeka Okafor comes into play. Both are considered restricted free agents, so whenever the Clippers decide to offer an offer sheet to either player, and they accept, their former team has an option to match that offer.
Right now, the Clippers are still a decent organization. With a coach in Mike Dunleavy, and a nice nucleous of players in Chris Kaman, Baron Davis, Eric Gordon, and Al Thornton, they can be pretty good in the future if they make the right decisions (and that's a big IF).
In my opinion, the right decision would be to sign Emeka Okafor, who would probably be worth less money, then you go out and resign Quinton Ross. Then, you stop. Your goal this season is to ONLY reach the playoffs, not much more. Look to sign someone big in the next few seasons.
Other News and Notes:
1. Posey to sign with either Cleveland, Los Angeles (Lakers), or New Orleans.
2. Nets are looking to dump some of their forwards, probably a big man because there seems like there is a dozen of them on that roster, and yet, they are targeting Eduardo Najera.
3. The Indiana Pacers are deserately trying to deal Jamaal Tinsley, and I believe a good fit for him would be Toronto.
4. Considering Carlos Arroyo, Keyon Dooling, and Maurice Evans are probably not returning, the Orlando Magic are pursuing Heat PG Jason Williams.
5. Spurs sign Roger Mason, which may result in him backing up Manu Ginobili.
6. The Phoenix Suns are still searching for a backup point guard and a swingman, possibly Tyron Lue, Matt Barnes, and Josh Childress.
7. Miami Heat and Milwaukee Bucks might be interested in Kwame Brown.
8. In other Miami Heat news, sharpshooter James Jones signs with them.
9. Even though Darius Miles is working out with various teams, Nicolas Batum won't play many minutes next season.
10. Veteran Anthony Carter to stay with Denver, while the Knicks want another veteran, Jerome James, to retire.
Thank you for reading. I know you guys are really so tempted to see what happens to all these stars in free agency. But it can all happen in a push of a button.