The San Diego Chargers defense tops the Mac Bros. list of Fantasy Football Defense Rankings.
TEAM Bye Week
1. San Diego Chargers 9—This defense was built for fantasy football. This year’s defense is comprised of essentially the same cast that led the NFL in interceptions (30) and ranked in the Top 5 in sacks (42), points allowed per game (17), and defensive TD’s (5) in 2007.
2. Minnesota Vikings 8—This squad scored an NFL best 8 TD’s last season. The key additions of sack king Jared Allen and star safety Madieu Williams should sure up what was a shaky pass D in ’07, and place the Minnesota defense among the elite in fantasy football.
3. Dallas Cowboys 10—If you are looking for a balanced defense for your fantasy line up, look no further than the Cowboys. They probably won’t lead the league in any fantasy statistical category, but they are sure to be ranked near the top in all of them. The additions of Zach Thomas and Pacman Jones only bolster an already impressive defensive group.
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10—This underrated and overlooked defense led the NFL in pass defense in 2007, only allowed 16 points per game (tied for 1st), and forced a league best 27 fumbles. They also added 16 interceptions (tied for 7th), 33 sacks (tied for 11th), and 2 defensive TD’s. With all the key players back for 2008, along with a couple of nice additions in safety Eugene Wilson and rookie CB Aqib Talib, the Bucs defense should return as one of the best in fantasy football.
5. Seattle Seahawks 4—This high-energy defense was also highly underestimated in ’07. They ranked near the top of the NFL in every statistical defensive category that matters in fantasy football, and return almost entirely intact. They may be a steal in later rounds on draft day.