OK, I got decent feedback on the movie top 10 list ... now let's go for something maybe more likely to enflame passions: the top 10 starting pitchers since the end of World War II. I needed something to split up the early 1900s "throw every day" types like Young and Mathewson, and the more recent SPs who pitch every five days or so.
Here goes, let the debate begin:
10. Jim Palmer
9. Greg Maddux. Lots of wins but has been ordinary last few years.
8. Tom Seaver
7. Waren Spahn
6. Randy Johnson: Still pretty nasty
5. Sandy Koufax: A longer career and he'd be up higher.
4. Bob Gibson.
3. Steve Carlton: Was there ever a better lefty?
2. Nolan Ryan: More than a K per 9 innings. That's amazing.
1. Roger Clemens: He's hittable now but has been an ace for 20+ years.