Clearly we know that some if not many teams that are ranked in the top 25 will go away quickly; if they play a real team. It seems very unfair to rank teams without seeing them play and not making their level of schedule a huge part of the ranking system. I think they should rank teams after their first three games with the BCS. I also think their schedule should be considered and part of the ranking process. Clearly if you are unranked; you have to play at least 3 if not more top 10 teams and win to have a shot at the ring.
It is true that the Big 12 has improved but clearly Oklahoma and Missouri are the teams to beat and Kansas comes in again as a possible dark horse. The league does have solid teams but the years of Nebraska and Oklahoma dominating the entire game are over. I would not count out Missouri who will be a strong team and if they get by Oklahoma; will probally have a shot at the championship.
I would also look for USC, Ohio State and West Virginia to have huge years and make a serious run again this year. My dark horse overall is Clemson. This is a strong team and with their schedule.. they could be in real position to make a run this year. The question is can Tommy finish a season strong? I do see them at 9-10 wins. I also think Bama may shock a few ; even Clemson. Expect them to be a sleeper in the SEC.
Expect the unexpected again with many upsets. There are several over ranked teams and solid teams who get little credit will again.. shock the world!
The SEC has the following:
1. Georgia- They are at the top and they are playing at least 6 teams who will have winning seasons and possible strong shots at their conferences. If they only lose one and win the SEC..they will three peat for the SEC. It will be a long and hard road. They had better take every game serious and one week at a time. They usually struggle against the weaker teams early. The South Carolina game will give a clear statement if they are ready for a real run for the gold.
2. Florida- This is an explosive team with a proven QB who is now healthy. Florida will rebound and make a serious run this year. The UGA game will probally decide the East and a possible shot at the championship.
3. LSU- Never count out a champion and a coach who always comes prepared to win. This is a solid team and they will be better than most teams think this year.. do not count them out. They are still the team to beat in their division.
4. Alabama- Like or hate.. he is a good coach and they will be solid this year. Probally a dark horse but certainly a good team that will have a much improved year. This team may be the surprise team of the SEC.
5. Tennessee- After a hard year they will rebound. They have great coaches and are being overlooked.. that is exactly where they want to be.. watch out! Toss up year but expect some noise and a few more songs in the end zone. They still have real issues on offense.
6. Auburn- A solid coach and solid team. Do not count this team out and I expect at least 9 wins if not better this year.
*There may be others that surprise us but these teams will all have winning seasons. On a side note.... do not expect much from South Carolina.. they talk big but expect 6 wins at best. This will be Spurriers last year unless he is settled on a paycheck and security.
When you have rankings for the BCS that start after a few games... that will clear some of the pretenders that are ranked as contenders very quickly. There are teams that get ranked and clearly play weak and joke schedules... until we get playoffs.. there are no answers for them. ND lived that every year but finally got so bad.. the rankings had to drop them. I saw where they even got a few votes in the poll.. sad.
I was recently reading where an Ohio State fan said UGA and some SEC teams were jokes... read Southern Prides log...I do think Ohio State has a decent team and great coach but clearly they have been thumped by the SEC and should stay quiet until they at least beat one. The more you schedule real teams and win.. they will respect you and that is how rankings should be set up without playoffs.
Your thoughts or reviews on other strong conferences...