Here are a few diamonds in the rough that may help your team get the season started on a good note. They won't be every week starters for you, but if you have a flexible roster spot that you can fill with a free agent, look for some of these guys in week #1:
1) Andre Hall - RB - Denver vs. Oakland - I look for Denver to go up big on the defense of the Raiders. This means Selvin Young getting benched late and Andre Hall, who appeared to be more explosive during the pre season, getting a ton of late carries. I can easily see him putting up 75 yards and 1 TD.
2) Matt Ryan - QB - Atlanta vs. Detroit - I know he is a rookie, but unlike Joe Flacco's starting assignment, Ryan finds himself with a great WR in Roddy White, and a terrible defense in the Detroit Lions. This is a team that gave up passing yardage like it was candy on Halloween last year, and they look to be worse this year. I see Ryan going for 250 yards and 2 TD's.
3) Patrick Crayton - WR - Dallas vs. Cleveland - I am tired of hearing about T.O. Patrick Crayton has big play ability, and in an offense where oposing defenses have to worry about T.O., Marion Barber, Tony Romo, and Jason Witten, how can they possibly cover Crayton as well. I see a big game from Crayton against a horrendous pass defense and him easily putting up 100 yards and 1 TD.
4) Desmond Clark - TE - Chicago vs. Indianapolis - Even though the Bears have few options in the passing game, and Desmond Clark has been banged up all pre season, he is all set to start on Sunday. He along with Greg Olsen will give the Colts secondary headaches, and will have to step up if the Bears hope to have any shot at starting the season on a winning note. I see him with 5 catches for 86 yards and 1 TD.
5) Kris Brown - K - Houston vs. Pittsburgh - The Texans are a much better group than their history dictates. They have a dominant young defense and a few great weapons on offense in Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels. I see them moving the ball relatively well, and Kris Brown getting decent stats in the neighborhood of 3 FG's and 2 XP's.
6) Detroit Lions Defense vs. Altanta - Though we are high on Matt Ryan this week, he is a rookie, and the suspect Lions secondary should have plenty of oportunities to pounce on some misjudged passes by the new Ron Mexico. I see 2 INT's and 4 sacks.
We'll be back next week with new predictions for those diamonds in the rough that can make or break your season.