Once again I am saying goodbye to a BCS Championship in Miami between the USC Trojans and the Champions of the SEC. For the third straight year the USC Trojans have crumbled like graham **** to another vastly inferior Pac -10 opponent. It looks like USC might be headed to another Rose Bowl birth against the champions of the equally pathetic Big-10. Except for the fact that if Terrelle Pryor returns to Southern California on January 1, 2009 it will not be as the green novice who stepped out onto the Coliseum turf of Sept. 13., and it will not be without Beanie Wells. I offer the following observations on USC's latest collapse:
- USC's choking against decidedly inferior opponents in now so regular that it must point to ineptituedes in the coaching staff.
- Mark Sanchez does not play well during "crunch time". Maybe Mitch Mustain would?
- Defensive coordinator Nick Holt is getting consitently outchoached by lesser programs. USC's defense is undisiplined and easily fooled - unlike the Gator or Georgia defenses.
- USC's offensive line is mediocre and prone to repeated mental mistakes when faced with a well coached and disciplined defense.
- Rey Maualuga is the most physically intimidating player in the NCAA. Unfortunately for the Trojans Rey Rey is not the brightest bulb in the box - especially when he gets in the habit of popping a couple of Vicodin tablets before gametime.
- Joe McKnight still looks like a skinny bedazzled high school player with butter fingers - not what I expected from the nation's #1 running back prospect in 2007.
It looks like on January 08, 2009 an SEC team will be crowned BCS champions for a third straight year. That is unless the Sooners or Mizzou Tigers can upend them. Big 12 vs. SEC in the Orange Bowl would be great.