Watching the game on ESPN2 in my Kitchen on a small TV I was glued from the start. I had no idea that this far into the season Carolina would be 3-1 so I was interested in seeing the game especially since the Heels were playing the undefeated Huskies (5-0).
Before the game I was thinking how UNC still had a fair chance to win it, even with their 3rd string QB starting the game. I knew Brandon Tate and Hakeem Nicks would help out any QB anyway. So I luckily tuned in and I was in for a surprise.
If you missed it here is a summary of all the big plays:
- A couple of Feild Goals and we're tied at 3-3.
- Mark Paschal (UNC) intercepts a pass thrown straight at him by Zach Frazer.
- Shaun Draughn (UNC) fumbles right at the goal line but it's recovered by UNC.
- Ryan Houston scores on a 1 yard TD.
- Matt Merletti (UNC) scores on a blocked punt by Bruce Carter (UNC).
- Trimane Goddard (UNC) intercepts a pass for 33 yards in the Red Zone.
- Uconn gets another Feild Goal. Score is 6-17 Carolina.
- Shaun Draughn (UNC) rushes straight up the middle for 39 yards and a TD.
- Zach Frazer is rushed back about 15 yards and throws a floater to 300 lb. DT Marvin Austin (UNC) (#1 DT HS Prospect), pass intercepted for a TD.
- Hakeem Nicks (UNC) catches a 13 yard pass for another TD.
- Donald Brown ( Uconn) rushes for a 1 yard TD. 2 Pt. Conversion fails.
Another interesting fact was somewhere between 22-29 minutes was used trying to figure out how to turn on the two banks of lights that went out in a middle of a play.
Bruce Carter had 3 Blocked Punts (T-3rd highest in FBS game). First time North Carolina has beat a ranked team in 11 years (1997- No. 17 Stanford). So thinking back, it still sounds wierd that Carolina would upset a ranked team with their 3rd QB starting and improve to 4-1.
The Tar Heels used a variety of Runningbacks: Greg Little, Ryan Houston, Shuan Draughn and they even used Brandon Tate and Hakeem Nicks on a few plays in my opinion it was a very exciting game and if you didn't see it, you should've.