Think you are up on Major League Baseball's steroid facts. Take the quiz. Match the quote with the individual . Answers come out Saturday. Come on all you SI.com hot shots, show us what you got.
Match the quotation with the individuals at the end of this blog
1. "I think he disremembered" "Never happened"
2. " I don't speak English so good"
3. "I'm not here to talk about the past."
4. "Can you get my son [on camera) too, just not on me? So you guys can show the pain you're causing my whole family."
5. "It's like McCarthyism or something."
6. "The national past-time is juiced."
7. "Steroids don't help you hit a baseball."
8. "I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never"
9. "The article said 50%. Well, I'm not one of them, so that's 49% right there."
10. "If you want privacy go play semi-pro ball. drug use (including steroids) hurts baseball. Why should we pay millions of dollars to these guys and have them go on the disabled list?"
11. "Asking me or any other player to answer questions about who took steroids in front of television cameras will not solve the problem... My lawyers have advised me that I cannot answer these questions without jeopardizing my friends, my family and myself. I intend to follow their advice."
12. "After batting practice or right before the game, Mark (McGwire) and I would duck into a stall in the men's room, load up our syringes, and inject ourselves. I always injected myself, because I had practiced enough to know just what I was doing, but often I would inject Mark as well."
13. "Who would do the testing? Will results be kept private? Or will they be leaked to the media? What about false positives? You think it's going to be confidential? I laugh at that."
14, "It's like the big secret we're not supposed to talk about. I think we all have our suspicions who's on the stuff, but unless someone comes out and admits to it, who'll ever know for sure."
15. "Everybody I know in the game of baseball uses the same stuff I use."
16. "I think what Mark McGwire has accomplished is so remarkable, and he has handled it all so beautifully, we want to do everything we can to enjoy a great moment in baseball history."
17. "I have never taken illegal performance-enhancing drugs. I have never injected myself or had anyone inject me with anything. I have not broken the laws of the United States or the laws of the Dominican Republic. I have been tested as recently as 2004 and I am clean."
18. "Nothing was between me and Greg. Barry pretty much controlled everything.. It was basically Barry (saying), 'Trust me. Do what I do.'"
19. "At his age, you have to ask, 'Did he accomplish all of this by rejuvenating his strength from day to day with those substances?'
20. "The whole thing is, everything that I've been doing at this point, it's all undetectable. See the stuff I have, we created it, and you can't buy it anywhere else, can't get it anywhere else, but you can take it the day of (the test), pee, and it comes up perfect."
21. "Doctors ought to quit worrying about what ballplayers are taking. What players take doesn't matter. It's nobody else's business. The doctors should spend their time looking for cures for cancer. It takes more than muscles to hit homers. If all those guys were using stuff, how come they're not all hitting homers?"
22. "If I took steroids, I could dunk. Never mind baseball, I could play in the NBA."
23. "My body was torn up and broken down but it felt good [on steroids]. I felt like a kid. I was running better. I'd be running the bases and think, 'Man, I'm fast!' And I had never been that fast. But I was. Steroids made me like that."
24. "(Giambi) became the single most vocal, outright juicer in the game, and nobody cared."
25. "Grimsley never worked out with me or Andy at any point. I don't know where that's coming from. When it's going to take a serious turn for me is when one of my sponsors pull out, then somebody's going to be responsible for that. Then my lawyers will take over from there."
Four points for each correct answer
100 Your name is either Bud Selig, Jose Canseco. or Superman
96 -100 You should be a Federal prosecutor
88-96 You must work for MLB
80-88 You are either a ballplayer or a baseball journalist
68 - 80 You are an avid fan who follows baseball closely
48-68 You are an avid fan but you have better things to do than read about dopers
28 - 48 You follow the general news on baseball
12 - 28 You are a typicakl baseball fan
4 -12 You need to get off steroids
0 - 4 You are a high profile baseball player and you are covering up
All the quotations above came from these individuals. Match them up. There are dupes (indicated by paren to help you out).
A Tony LaRussa
B Ricky Henderson
C Normar Garciaparra
D Greg Anderson
E Jason Giambi
F Tony Gwynn
G Bud Selig
H Mark Maguire (3)
I Sammy Sosa (2)
J Barry Bonds (2)
K Hank Aaron
L Roger Clemens (2)
M Jose Canseco ( 3)
N Ken Caminitti
O Gary Scheffield
L Bret Boone
M Dusty Baker
N Rafael Palmeiro