Here's a list of the things I think I believe after the first nine games:
- The big news from last night, of course, is the injury to Chris Carpenter. What a blow and what a disappointment. Hopefully he is not out long and this doesn't derail the pitching staff. If he's out for an extended time period, it will be interesting to see how Mozeliak spins it. He received a great deal of pressure and criticism for not adding a starting pitcher during the winter. The stock answer was always around Carpenter, which I thought was weak. I wrote in this space at least 5 times that it was critical for them to NOT count on Chris Carpenter's health and add another starter regardless. Now, we are 9 games into the season, and Carp is heading to the DL in all likelihood. Sigh.......
- Speaking of last night's game, I was completely baffled in the 9th when LaRussa sent Brendan Ryan up to PH instead of Ryan Ludwick with the scored tied, bases loaded and one out. Obviously it's easy to critcize that move in the hindsight of Ryan's horrible AB, but really.......why Ryan there instead of Ludwick? If anyone has heard an answer on that question, I'd love to hear it.
- Joe Thurston and Brian Barden are impressing me much more than David Freese in the third base derby. None of them are going to replace Troy Glaus' power, but in my mind, Freese has slipped to third in that group.
- Dennys Reyes is clearly the choice over Trever Miller in my mind as our top LH option in the pen.
- Chris Duncan takes a lot of abuse in STL, but he is pounding the ball, and looks far superior at the plate right now than Rick Ankiel.
- If Carp is DL'd, I wonder who takes his place in the rotation? Will it be McClellan, or will they opt for one of the guys from Memphis, either PJ Walters or Mitchell Boggs? Something tells me we are going to find out soon.