As this week is going to show now that conference play has gotten hot and heavy the rankings will flucuate from week to week. So without further ado, the week 9 Power Rankings as I see it.
1.(tie) Florida Gators - Despite the fact the offense has fallen off dramatically since Tebow's concusion at Kentucky they still find a way to win which is a sign of a championship quality team. 100 yard int return was pretty ugly, controversial defensive touchdown reminded me of the infamous Leon Lett's almost TD return against the Bill's back in the 90's. Last week:2
1.(tie) Alabama Crimson Tide - Ingrim loses the first fumble of his career and the offense couldn't punch one in for 6 versus Tennessee. In my opinion the play calling is attempting to force the ball into Julio Jones' hands instead of just taking what the offense gives them. I don't understand why you get down to within the 5 yard line then stop running the ball and attempt to force passes in there. 2 blocked field goals were impressive. Last week: 1
3. LSU - Jordan Jefferson seemed to put the offense on his back this week against an undermanned Auburn defense. This team still controls its own destiny in the National Championship picture. With no running game to speak of though I don't see it happening this year. What happened to Charles Scott? 235lb bruiser should be averaging more than 50 yards a game especially after the season he had last year. Last week:3
4. Ole Miss - Was this finally Jevan Snead's coming out party for the year or was this just Houston Nutt really coaching his guys up to beat his former employer? Snead still threw as many interceptions as he did touchdowns so the jury is still out. Last week: 6
5. South Carolina - Playing Vanderbilt at home this game should have been decided long before the 4th quarter. South Carolina racked up a ton of yards despite not putting up a ton of points. Last week 5
6. Georgia - No team needed a bye week more than Georgia did this week except maybe Auburn. Last week 7
7. Arkansas- You had to figure the defense couldn't keep up the level of play they had been at the previous two games and they didn't Snead torched the Razorback's and Mallet and the Hogs had no answer. Last week 4.
8. Tennessee- Vols fans will be complaining about this game for years to come, especially how Terrance Cody didn't get a penalty thrown on him. Instead of pointing the fingers at the refs they might want to point the fingers at themselves 2 kicks blocked and 1 missed. They also seem to forget the lack of a pass interference call that would have given Alabama 6 earlier in the game. Last week 8(tie)
9. Kentucky- The Wildcats were outgained offensivly by the Warhawks but managed to force a ton of turnovers on defense. Really though how many people figured Monroe would beat the Wildcats. Last week 10
10. Auburn - This season is starting to resemble last year, but with a defense that gives up more yards, points, and gets less turnovers. Tate can't do it by himself. Todd either needs to step up or turn over the reigns of the offense to Neil Caudle. Caudle in limited action did lead the team on a meaningless touchdown drive, but he at least looked moderately impressive on that drive which is more than can be said of Todd for the entire game. Last week 8(tie)
11. Mississippi St.- Jonathan Banks had more touchdowns than Florida's offense did 2-1, but it wasn't enough to knock off the Gators. Dan Mullen may never win a SEC championship at this school, but there may not be a team in the conference that plays harder.
12. Vanderbilt- Hung tough with the Gamecocks through 3 quarters. Nothing else really to say about the Commedores.
Player of the week- Terrance Cody- Alabama- The big guy blocks two kicks and saves Alabama's season to this point. His team better figure out their passing woes though or the Bayou Bengals will knock them out of the national title picture in 2 weeks.