I will probably get tired of doing this, but I will at least start out giving it a shot. I see all of the SI writers doing power rankings and I know they put a ton of work into it - far work than I will. But, I think it will at least start out as fun and hopefully lead to some good discussions and most likely some butt-whipping Throwdowns.
- No, I am not a sports writer. I just love football
- These are based mainly on my opinion and how they looked in the game overall
- I will use Peter King's tie breaker method: How will they fare on a neutral field?
- I will use opposing teams winning % from 2006 until the halfway point
- See caveat number 2
- See caveat number 1
- This is all in fun and designed to open some heated and legitimate discussions
So, here is my pre-season Top 10 Power Rankings. I am only doing 10 because I do not have the time and patience, or attention span to do all 32. I will try to keep this up all year, so wish me luck. I welcome constructive advice.
- Colts - Until they lose they are still the Super Bowl Champions
- Saints - Sean Payton is a genius and Brees looked good this pre-season. How are teams going to defend Brees, Bush, McAlister, and Colston
- Pats - Holy crap did they look scary this pre-season
- Chargers - Once LT starts playing, how good will they look then. The only thing that worries me is their coaching staff
- Steelers - Tomlin's defense is very scary. Big Ben looks decent. He looks improved over last season
- Cowboys - As long as they don't lose any starters they will be OK. Plus I'm a Cowboys fan
- Bears - Two words why they are not higher - Rex Grossman. They will only go as far as he will take them.
- Jags - They always look good early on and this is my "chic" pick to make some noise this year, until they collapse after about week 10 as usual
- Seahawks - I don't know, Holmgren always finds a way to motivate his team
- Eagles - Two words - Donovan McNabb. They will only go as far as he takes them.
On the bubble:
Again, this is my list and my opinion. I did not, nor will I, try to match it to the SI writers. It may in some instances, but it is merely a coincidence.Thanks for reading.