What ingrediants make a Super Bowl classic? We have had a great decade for classic finshes, one key ingrediant to a great Super Bowl. We have the makings for another all time classic this year and let's hope it makes the grade.
The key elements to a Classic Super Bowl :
1. Fantastic finshes- Everyone remembers Wide Right, Vineteri beats the Rams, Giants 2007 comeback, Montana's drive against the Bengals, last years Steelers two minute drive, etc. To be a true classic , the game must be won in the final two minutes.
2. Specacular plays - We need plays that will forever be replayed in highlight reels for a classic Super Bowl, Lynn Swann's catch, the tackle at the one in the Titans-Rams, the tip toe catch in the endzone last year, David Tyree'scatch, Harrisons 100 yard interception last year, John Riggins long run, Otis Taylor,s catch to lock up SB IV, Elway's helicopter run towards the endzone, etc.
3. Lead changes in the 4th quarter: It creates great drama when both teams take a lead in the 4th quarter and the game is in doubt until the final gun, Last year the Cards took the lead with about three minutes, in 2007 the Patriots took the lead at about 3 minutes, in 2003 the Panthers took a 4th quarter lead after trailing by 11. In this years playoffs, the Packers - Cards was a great game, but the Pack never took the lead at any point, the lead change makes a good game great.
4. Memorable record breaking day- We remember huge indivdual performaces on Super Sunday. SB fans can never forget Doug Williams, Marcus Allen, Johhn Riggins, Steve Young, Jerry Rice , Kurt Warner, etc. Fans enjoy a spectacular indivdual performance.
5. The MAJOR upset - Neutral fans love to root for an underdog, and when there is a mismatch on paper, and the dogs knocks off the big favorite, it becomes a SB classic. The first of course was the Jets, a historic football upset, followed by the Chiefs who cemented the fact that the AFL was on equal ground. The 2007 Giants, the 2001 Patriots and the 1997 Broncos scored memorable upsets. Last years Cards were so close to pulling off another.
For you, what else contributes to a "Classic" super bowl to be remebered?