Posted by:

Call it Survival Saturday.

Time came to a standstill at Kyle Field during a long and confusing replay with Texas A&M clinging to a three-point lead in the first overtime against Fresno State.

A few hours later, the Texas Longhorns were out of timeouts, out of challenges and running out of chances against TCU.

In the end, the No. 24 Aggies and No. 6 Longhorns remained unbeaten after replay evidence overturned two late-game calls and changed the outcome of both games, if not the complexion of each team's season.

"My heart dropped," Texas A&M tight end Martellus Bennett said after the Aggies escaped with a 47-45 triple-overtime win over Fresno State.

Reversal of fortune

The Aggies were heading for a stunning loss - they blew a 19-point halftime lead - until a chaotic 10-minute delay that included a pair of reviews in the first OT.



With A&M leading 32-29, Fresno State receiver Marlon Moore made the catch and tried to stretch the ball over the goal line. But Moore fumbled the ball at the A&M 1-yard line and the ball was recovered by A&M's Devin Gregg in the end zone in what appeared to seal the game for the Aggies.

Game officials originally ruled the play was not a fumble, giving the Bulldogs a first-and-goal from the 1-yard line. The call was overturned based on replay evidence.

Complicating matters was a roughing-the-passer penalty by A&M's Henry Smith on Fresno State quarterback Tom Brandstater. Fresno State was awarded the ball at the A&M 12 (half the distance to the goal) and eventually had to settle for a 25-yard game-tying field goal.

"I think I challenged it one way or the other," A&M coach Dennis Franchione said. "I don't know if it was an official challenge. I still have questions about that play."

A&M used a bruising running game the rest of the way, with 277-pound tailback Jorvorskie Lane scoring on 2- and 3-yard runs in the final two overtimes.

Lane also converted a two-point conversion that provided the winning margin.

"I've never seen anything like that, but that's the way it goes," Fresno State coach Pay Hill said of the replay reversal. "That was the call, and we'll live with it. If not, we're on the half-yard line with a chance to win the football game. It didn't work out that way."

Saved by the whistle

The Longhorns, meanwhile, were busy living their episode of Survivor: Austin.


Texas trailed 10-7 late in the third quarter when quarterback Colt McCoy had the ball knocked loose by linebacker Jason Phillips and recovered by TCU at its 15-yard line. Up to that point, the reinvigorated UT defense had held the Horned Frogs to a field goal in the game.

The Longhorns had used all three of their timeouts in the third quarter, including one on a challenge that was upheld.

Before TCU was able to snap the ball, a whistle blew for a replay, which indicated McCoy's knee was down before the fumble. On the next play, Ryan Bailey connected on a 28-yard field goal to tie the game at 10.

The turn of events was just what the Longhorns needed to shift momentum. TCU fumbled the ensuing kickoff and by the time the dust settled, the Longhorns had scored 20 unanswered points during an eight-minute span. Texas won 34-13.

"I think I ran out of challenges in pregame," Texas coach Mack Brown said jokingly. "I don't remember us ever using three timeouts in the third quarter.

"We always have them at the end of the game. I don't know where they went. Thank goodness it wasn't a factor."


Remember to keep your posts clean. Profanity will get filtered, and offensive comments will be removed.

Start Your Own Blog

Start Now

Truth & Rumors


  1. 1
    Tuukka Rask takes blame for Bruins' Game 1 loss
  2. 2
    Clippers, Warriors exchange barbs
  3. 3
    Smush Parker allegedly punches high schooler
  4. 4
    Quarterback freefalling down draft boards
  5. 5
    Joel Quenneville's Midnight Hawk favored to win Illinois Derby

SI Photos