I've decided to compile the 10 best rivalries in the history of college basketball, and provide some details such as the head to head record, conference success and notable games for each rivalry.
* National titles count both tournament titles and pre-tournament titles.
1. North Carolina-Duke
This is easily the number one rivalry in college basketball. Considered by many to be one of the greatest rivalries in the entire sporting world, the meetings of Duke and UNC draws national attention every year. Regardless of how the two programs are doing any given year, the matchups between these two teams is one of the better games of the season, and rightfully so.
- UNC leads the all times series 130-98
- UNC won the first ever meeting (1920) 36-25
- UNC won the only postseason meeting between the two, a semifinal meeting in the NIT tournament (1971)
- UNC has 27 regular season ACC titles, Duke has 18
- Both schools have 17 ACC tournament titles
- UNC has 18 Final Four appearances, Duke has 14
- UNC has 6 National Titles, Duke has 3
- The teams have gone 125 consecutive meetings with one team being ranked in the AP Top 25
. . .
the rest of my article here to find out more about UNC-Duke and the other 9 rivalries that made my list.