As usual, I will have my weekly Power Rankings and I will have my picks either tommorow or on Thursday. These power rankings have undergone a huge change from last week because I only have one game to go on. These rankings DO NOT reflect my view of how the season will play out; they reflect what my top 16 teams are as of now. Defense usually wins in Week 1 and I mention that a lot in this list and I do take that into account because it takes a while for the players to gel and develop a rhythm. Please feel free to comment and tell me what you think about my Week 1 Power Rankings.
1. New England Patriots--Randy Moss had one hell of a game and he proved to everybody out there that he can still play, but the part that gets lost in that game is the way the defense played and how they dominated a pretty good offensive line of the Jets. Don't forget that the Patriots defense was without Richard Seymour and Rodney Harrison. If the Patriots defense can be that dominant without Seymour and Harrison in the lineup, imagine how good the Patriots defense will be with Seymour and Harrison in the lineup. This team is for real, they've got so many weapons and can hurt you in so many different ways. If that offensive line plays like it did against the Jets, the Patriots will be unstoppable.
2. Indianapolis Colts--This Colts offense is just as good as ever. They are almost impossible to defend. If you take Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne away, then the Colts will attack you with Dallas Clark, Anthony Gonzalez, and Joseph Addai. That defense is predicated on speed and if the Colts get a big lead early, that defense becomes impossible to score against. The key to beating this team is to get out to an early lead and play a ball control offense. However, that is easier said than done. The Saints tried to run the ball right down the Colts throat, but the Colts played a lot of 8 in the box and still had the speed to play great coverage downfield.
3. Baltimore Ravens--The Ravens did not deserve to win on Monday night, but one thing that really impressed me about this team is that they committed six turnovers and 10 penalties, yet the game was as close as it was. Had this game gone into overtime like it should've, the Ravens would've probably beaten the Bengals. This defense is flat-out amazing. I expect the Ravens to kill the Jets this Sunday. I still think that the Ravens are a top 3 team in the NFL even though they lost to the Bengals last night.
4. San Diego Chargers--I think that the Chargers offense was exposed by the Bears defense. What the Bears did was stack 8 in the box and take Antonio Gates out of the game and say to the Chargers how will you beat us. If it weren't for the excellent play of the Chargers defense and the horrible play of Rex Grossman, they would've gotten slaughtered. If they play like they did last week against the Patriots, the Chargers will get run over. Granted, I don't think they'll play as badly as they did against the Bears, but they have to pick up their level of play.
5. Pittsburg Steelers--They absolutely beat up on the Browns, and yes, it was only the Browns(who I flip flopped on as a sleeper team and now I think that they suck), but the Steelers looked impressive. A lot of the teams on my top 10 list lost and that launched the Steelers up here. I was a little worried about the coaching changes that took place(Bill Cowher, Ken Whisenhunt, and Russ Grimm leaving), but Mike Tomlin and the Steelers players seem to be on the same page so I moved them up to the top 5. This Steelers team is stacked, that defense will be as good as it usually is and that offense will still be a run based offense that will give Roethlisberger more power at the line of scrimmage.
6. Dallas Cowboys--I was expecting more from the Cowboys defense, but that offense was spectacular. I do expect an improvement from the defense this week against the anemic Dolphins. The Cowboys need Terrance Newman on the field, his presence alone should make that Cowboys defense much better. Onto the offense of the Cowboys, Romo looks like a stud, the Cowboys were able to impose their will upon the Giants defense. If the Cowboys offense plays like they did on Sunday night, it'll be one of the best in the NFL.
7. Cincinnati Bengals--The Bengals defense looked spectacular against the Ravens. They did so many different things and they did a great job of confusing the Ravens offensive line based on what I saw from the highlights(I wasn't able to watch the game). If the Bengals defense plays like they did last night, this team could be one of the best teams in the NFL. Even though the offense only had 264 yards, but that's becuase they were playing the Ravens defense.
8. Chicago Bears--Rex Grossman is a terrible quarerback and he showed that against the Chargers. He has to get benched in favor of Brian Griese at some point because Grossman doesn't give the Bears the best chance to win. That offense doesn't look very good, I don't feel that Cedric Benson is very good and I don't think Adrian Peterson will be very good if he's asked to carry the ball 20-25 times per game. However, that defense is spectacular. They played excellent against the Chargers. They stopped the best runningback in the NFL in LaDanian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates.
9. Denver Broncos--That Denver defense played pretty well against the young Bills offense. I think that the Broncos offense is better than they played on Sunday and I expect Jay Cutler to have the best year out of all of the second year quarterbacks. Travis Henry looks like he could have 1300 or 1400 yards and the Broncos have a lot of weapons for Cutler to work with. I expect the offense to come together as the season progresses.
10. Philadelphia Eagles--The Packers were lucky to win yesterday. Anytime 10 of your points come from two muffed punts, you lucked out. However, the only thing that matters at the end of the day is what it says on the scoreboard and the Eagles lost 16-13. That Eagles defense played pretty well and it looks like the Eagles run defense will be much better this year. The Eagles offense should get better as the season progresses.
11. San Francisco 49ers--My boy Patrick Willis looks like a hell raiser and that young 49ers defense is coming together. Mike Nolan is doing a great job out there in San Fran and it looks like Alex Smith is developing into a leader. Even though Smith didn't have a great game against the Cardinals, he led his team to a win and he's shown that he can be a leader. Frank Gore didn't have a great game, but I put that on the defense played by the Cardinals.
12. Carolina Panthers
13. Tennessee Titans
14. New York Jets
15. Seattle Seahawks
16. Green Bay Packers