The Birds are off to a nice start in their first series of the year, taking the first couple of games from the Reds at The Great American Ballpark. They'll go for the sweep this afternoon as Brad Penny makes his Cardinal debut. Penny will be trying to replicate strong starting performances the Cards have gotten in this series from Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright. It would be beautiful to start the season with a sweep over a division rival.
It's only two games, but here are my random thoughts after the first two games:
- Carp and Wainwright are going to be the best tandem of starting pitchers in the league this year. They both looked sharp in picking up right where they left off in 2009.
- Very nice to see good offensive starts from David Freese and Colby Rasmus. If you add good production from them to the anticipated production of Albert, Holliday and Ludwick, you have the potential for a VERY formidible offense.
- I'm going on record and saying I predict a huge offensive year for Colby
- The bullpen needs help......period. Again, I know it is only two games but the shaky performances out of the pen so far are a cry for help and likely a sign of things to come. I certainly hope that Mozeliak is keeping tabs on available relief help.
- Albert is Albert and we need to thank our lucky stars that he is a Cardinal. We really need to appreciate the fact that we are watching a once in a generation kind of player.