I just had the pleasure of watching BC put up 14 against my beloved Hokies in the last 4 minutes of play in the Thursday night game, leaving me an empty shell of a man (at least until I sober up). I then watched the BoSox hand the lovable underdog Rockies their first back-to-back loss since mid-September. I have a third chance to root against the great city of Boston on Sunday when the offense-challenged Redskins head north as the biggest underdog in franchise history (at least since 1995 when they played a 17-point favored Cowboys squad that would go on to win the Super Bowl, a game the 'Skins actually won ). So, if it's not already obvious, here are five reasons why Boston is crushing my soul:
5. Tom Brady and (insert smokin' hot woman he is bedding and/or fathering a child with). I'll admit that I'm purely hating on this, but... come on!!! There's got to be some wierd twist to this Golden Boy story at some point. Maybe we'll see him loaded and groping a sideline reporter on national TV in twenty years.
4. Bill Belichick. I was always taught cheaters never win. Apparently, that's not true. I was also taught that being an a**hole will get you no where. Again - not so much. My kudos to the man, though - he's out of his skull when it comes to coaching football.
3. Matt Ryan. Wait two or three years and see entry for "Tom Brady," above.
2. Rockies fans. They were so happy, so precocious, so full of light as their ready-made Disney story prepared to enter the final act. Then... well... we should probably be thankful for avoiding being subjected to another cliched sports flick.
1. Manny. He's like someone slapped a uniform and a boatload of talent on space-cadet boss Michael from "The Office." His success seems just as foreign and unrecognizable to him as his failures. I almost wish he could appreciate the history he has made so it wouldn't be so damned maddening. But that's just "Manny being Manny"