Once again TCU was left to wonder "what if" when two more teams did not play a full game vs Auburn and Oregon. What an exciting week of college football with so much at stake and it being a rivalry game. Hope everyone enjoyed the turkey feast and the black friday shopping. Now onto some thoughts and highlights from this past week and the games to come. (PLUS the BIG EAST MESS of earning a BCS BOWL)
1) Auburn is a team of destiny. It can be $180 million that Cam Newton took and it still wont distract him. After Alabama came out and dominated the first half Auburn took over and did what it has done best all year...dug itself out of a hole and won at the end. Alabama fans have the deer in the headlight look after blowing a lead like that. If Trent Richardson would have caught that pass on the goal line for a Touchdown and Bama did not have to settle for a field goal then I think the game would have been alot different. That would have made it 28-0. If Saban kept his boys attacking all game then Auburn would be going to the Sugar Bowl. Well let's see how South Carolina does in round 2 this week. Should be a great atmosphere.
2) Oregon likes to give people false hope of an upset. When Arizona was leading 19-14 at halftime you only could wonder when would Oregon score 40 points in 3 minutes or less? Oregon struggles vs a dominate defense line even when they do not fake injury. They do get the job done but it takes a little longer. Up next is the CIVIAL WAR. Should be a great game in the 1st quarter then when Oregon score 35 unanswered points in the 2nd quarter we can turn the game off and watch the SEC championship game!
3) TCU dismantled New Mexico 66-17 but allowing New Mexico to score 17 is like a defeat. Good Season TCU just waste one more year doing nothing then Enjoy feasting on the BIG EAST! Wish you cold go now to the BIG EAST but we will all have to wait until 2012.
Speaking of waiting....I can not wait until Next year for the GATORS because everything was a mess this year. Did Urban not see how well the offense ran with JORDAN REED doing it? Does Urban have some loyalty to Brantley we do not know about but cost us 2-3 wins this year? Does Urban have the guts to bench Brantley next year and start a TRUE Mobile QB? 2011 or bust baby! Go Gators?
4) Wow Boise or more like EEEEWWWWW! You blow a 24-7 lead but somehow still be able to win it with 2 seconds to go and miss a chip shot. If you ask me the field goal looked super close. This loss could be devastating but I feel bad for Utah State who Boise plays next because they will take it all out on them. Also you have to feel bad for Boise...they moved to the MWC and now everyone who they wanted to play is gone. Better luck next time Boise. Props to Nevada for getting the job done when all hope was gone by halftime. I stayed up to watch the game and glad I did. On one more side note this was the first game that Boise Starters had to play a whole game. I wonder if they were so exhausted in the 4th quarter because they have not played a full game all year?
5) Wisconsin and Stanford. That would be a great ROSE BOWL match up if it could happen. Both teams are on fire and both teams could even deserve a shot at the national title game. With how wisconsin just runs the ball I wonder if they would be able to keep an Auburn or Oregon offense off the field? Stanford had a great year but I bet changes will be coming with the coach and QB. If I had my vote they would both play in the Rose Bowl and it would be a RED sellout!
6) BEDLAM at it's best. Not only did Oklahoma and Oklahoma State score 40 4th quarter points but it's how they did it. The game had so many twists and turns. I never doubted Oklahoma would win it. Never a dull game when both those teams meet. Oklahoma State is an exciting team to watch and you wonder who is going to try and pluck their offensive coordinator for a head coaching spot. With the win Oklahoma created a 3 way tie for the Big-12 south but its not as bad as 2008. Oklahoma got the spot without sweating the BCS.
7) How About the mess caused in the BIG EAST! To think UCONN could still get a BCS bowl game and win the conference if they win against a walk on QB at USF! TCU is so excited to go beat up on the BIG EAST! THE BCS should make a rule that a team can not get a BCS bowl unless they are ranked in the Top 15 or something because the BIG EAST is a joke! Their battle cry is "WAIT UNTIL BASKETBALL SEASON" I hope UCONN wins it all just to make everyone go UGH! Then when they do the head coach Randy Edsall will leave for Colorado. THe BIG EAST can not hold onto a good head coach.
8) This is the year of Log Jams for conference races. How about how the ACC handled business. The same day FSU manhandled their rival Florida they found out they will play for the ACC championship game thanks to Maryland. Their opponent: Virginia Tech. Credit to BEAMER BALL for after lsoing 2 games won 10 straight and will most likely win the Conference title. Should be a great game.
9) Good old fashion hate. Bet you feel like crap if you are the kicker for Georgia Tech. What a game that was. Credit to Georgia for coming back from being down at the beginning of the year to finish 6-6 and become bowl eligible. This past thanksgiving break I was able to tour the Georgia Tech campus and stadium. Very nice place with a nice downtown setting. Go check it out along with lunch at "THE VARSITY" following by a trip to the Coke Museum.
10) Ryan Mallett and Arkansas put themself into BCS position with a big win over LSU. The mad hatter Les Miles finally got out gambled when Arkansas threw a deep pass to end the 1st half that resulted in a touchdown. That touchdown proved to be the difference. What a game it was. Arkansas vs Stanford in the Augar bowl? 2 1st round QB's dueling. Think about it.
What a great season it has been. Once again another year shows we need playoff with so many one loss teams proving themselves worthy. I am hoping for more BCS chaos and for Auburn and Oregon to lose even though it will not happen. As soon as the BCS gives up its money choke hold on the NCAA then we will get a playoff and secure financial security for all of college football plus not so many teams will be jumping conference ship!
Enjoy those thoughts and now onto some predictions for the upcoming week:
Oregon 45 Oregon State 17 (will not even be close)
Northern Illinois 38 Miami (Ohio) 13 (how long will N. Illinois coach be around before a BCS school comes calling)
Auburn 21 South Carolina 17 (Spurrier will try to much)
Virginia Tech 28 Florida State 20 (Beamer Ball will finish strong)
Oklahoma 17 Nebraska 10 (defensive struggle)
USC 41 UCLA 24 (Kiffin finished strong)
UCF 31 SMU 28 (Great C-USA championship classic)
UCONN 24 USF 7 (Uconn gets it done and gets into the BCS)