So Urban is done. Thanks for all your hard work and national championship hardware you brought to UF (along with a Police Report list longer than Santa's good list). Urban is stepping down at the right time with alot of good coaches out there to take over at UF.
Onto some potential coaches for UF (no major order)
1) Gus Malzahn- he is the hot coordinator right now. He not only uses the spread but uses it in such a hurry up way that it is hard to defend. He can start using REED to build it up and would be a major hire. Just as Urban was the hot coach with the spread, the new thing is the HURRY UP SPREAD and Gus would be the man for that. (COST Probably $2-2.5 million/year)
2) Kevin Sumlin- Current Houston Coach. He has put up amazing Offensive numbers and would be a good hire. struggled this season but lost 3 QBs in the first 2 weeks of the season. He can recruit and would be a good players coach. His offense would put up some good numbers to keep florida fans excited. ( COST $1.5-2.5 million/year)
3) Mike Leach- he has always over achieved at TEXAS TECH with 2-3 star recruits. Imagine one year with Brantley in his passing offense. It will be like Bobby Petrino and Ryan Mallett hooking up all over again! He is weird and might rub the fan base wrong but with his crazy pass offense it will be like Spurrier all over again! Just do not know if Jeremy Foley wants to deal with the Pirate ( COST $2-3 million/year)
4) Chris Peterson- He has coached big games. He has made crazy calls at just the right time. He is happy where he is at but to Coach Florida would be a nice upgrade. I do not know what kind of recruiter he is (he passed on Kellen Moore but a D-coordinator picked him up). He is only making $1.5 million a year at Boise so UF could double that. It would be interesting to see how his coaching style would evolve in the SEC.
5) Dan Mullen- why not? He is Urban Junior? After he beat Urban in the SWAMP this year everyone knows he can do it even better at UF. To make Mississippi State 8-4 and keep it close vs LSU, BAMA, and AUBURN....the man is a good fit. Is he willing to leave from Mississippi State so soon? Interesting to see how this all turns out! MULLEN could be the new man in Gainesville.
Florida needs to look at a well known assistant coach right now who is bringing it or some new head coaches that are making it big. The list I have shown is just that! Does anyone have Jeremy Foley's email!? I will send it to him!
SIDE NOTE= I know Pete Carroll made USC great but NO NFL COACHES! Two words RON ZOOK! They just do not have the creativity to keep it going at a college level! so NO GRUDEN! Also BOB STOOPS ain't going anywhere. He just won the Big-12 and will make a serious run at the National Title next year! He loves Florida but not enough to leave his little paradise!
SIDE NOTE II: Who thinks Urban will go coach the Denver Broncos and re-unite with Tim Tebow? Just kidding....maybe?
If there is any other names you can think of put them up here and tell why they would be a good fit. Love to hear the ideas.