10 Pt. Plan
1. Jerry Jones needs to stop being a Steinbrenner or Al Davis wanna be. The Cowboys are already the most watched and exposed team, so stop marketing/promoting the team like if it is the only game in town. Most importantly, he needs to hire a GM to take his place. For example when 2 corners who were drafted in the 1st round like Newman(5th overall) and Jenkins(24th overall) or when a player leaves the Cowboys via free agency or a trade and they are cut by their new team should give Jerry the hint that those players were bad personnel choices.
2. Now that Jason Garrett is the new head coach and he vows to do things "the Cowboy way". As an interim coach made players practice in full pads during Wednesday's practices and implemented a dress code that gave a professional appearance. Garrett needs to make off-season and practices competitive and challenging in order to have the team perform better during pressure situations. Needs to hold players accountable to every small detail, so that they are prepared for each game and not to have any confusion by any player. In addition never allow players to go on trips to Mexico during an earned bye week in the playoffs or regular season.
3. Garrett's playcalling improved since he became interim HC, he stopped calling the cute plays that only ruined any momentum that the team might have taken away from the other team. He also became a more aggressive play caller after he became interim HC. This needs to continue now that he is HC.
4. Everybody is excited that the Cowboys have the 9th overall pick for the 2011 draft and so am I, but remember the 2 draft picks previously mentioned. Unfortunately, the Cowboys only have 7 picks for this draft which are only 1 per round. The Cowboys will need to trade for more draft picks and sign a few free agents. The Cowboys need to get younger and talented.
5. This team got old very fast over the last 4 years and without a Super Bowl appearance much less a victory. The following players are in their 30s: Romo(31), Newman(32), Brookins(35), Columbo(33), Davis(33), Gurode(33), Kosier(33). The Cowboys definitely need to get more talented and younger, and 7 picks in the draft will not help.
6. There are 2 players on the Cowboys that teams could be willing to trade draft picks for and these are Romo and Barber. The Cowboys could get a 2nd and 3rd picks for Romo and/or 4th and 5th for Barber. This could give the Cowboys a total of 11 draft picks for 2011.
7. The argument is that Romo was not the problem on the team, but no one is yet to say that he is the solution either. For Kitna and McGee did a great job of filling in for Romo. Kitna's numbers were just as good as Romo's. No one has ever said or written that Romo has made his teammates better which is a trademark of great players. This is a quarterback driven league and the quarterback needs to possess great leadership skills which are more important than great stats. Romo lacks the courage to lead or stand strong in the pocket which is what led to his injury that ended his season. There is no doubt that Grankowski miss his assignment, but Romo has the awful tendency to step to his left on his throwing delivery when a pass rusher is in his face and his injury was only a matter of time because of this. Just watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4wMri4nsuo
8. Everyone wants for the Cowboys to draft an Offensive Lineman or a Cornerback, but the Cowboys should draft a quarterback if they can trade Romo or have the new QB study for a couple of years and then have him start. The competition should make both better. Use the other rounds to draft a Cornerback or an Offensive Lineman and sign a few free agents like Asumugha now that Al Davis decided not to re-sign him. The other can be an offensive lineman from a Super Bowl winning team who still has at least a few years left in the tank (Probably the Lions will do this off-season). This will give the Cowboys a good mixture of young talent with a veteran who knows how to win it all because the team does not have a single player who has been part of a championship team.
9. The Cowboys will need to sign a field goal kicking specialist if Buehler does not improve. Buehler needs to stop trying to beat his teammates in the 40 and should practice his kicking. Another wasted draft pick ala Al Davis. No doubt that Buehler can boom it, but he needs to improve his accuracy so that the Cowboys can use that roster spot for OL or CB.
10. Finally, Jerry Jones has overpaid each player with nothing in return from most of them. Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett need to acquire players who want to play football for championships and not players who want to play football for money. As bad as Jerry Jones might be, he is still not as bad as Dan Snyder or Al Davis.