What kind of drivel can I fill you with as you anxiously await gorging yourself and falling asleep during the games? Let's see, the kiddos are at grandma's house this week so that means it's just me and wifey. So what do couples do when the kids are away? What did you think I was talking about? I hope the Cowboys don't fall into the trap game danger before the NFC Superbowl on the 29th. The Cowboys have won 63% of their post Thanksgiving games. Just sayin'.
I have a new addition to my musings. Now that playoff fever is coming on I added a "Playoff Watch" section. This is to keep tabs on the current playoff situation. They are grouped by current standings first then whether or not I think they have a chance.
Sunday Night regurgitation
Ok, so I'm not really surprised about how this game turned out. What I am surprised at is why Losman is still the Bills QB. It seemed to me that they were much more effective under Edwards. Is he hurt and I missed the memo? Continued below in the coaches section.
Surprise Surprise Surprise
- The Pats are a very good team. OK, so that's not really a surprise.
- The Dolphins are horrendous. Ok, again not really a surprise. I'm trying here.
- Ooh, how about this one - The Chiefs could still win their division
- The Browns are only a game out of 1st
- The Bengals suck. No that really isn't a surprise but I got nothin'.
What were you thinking?
- I'm thinking that on this edition, we need to refresh our memories on how to hustle (this is my ring tone for my cell phone, seriously). Oh, was that too much information?
- I'm thinking that after that beating Manning took he is lucky to be alive.
- I'm thinking that you are enjoying this more than you will admit.
- I'm thinking that whenever I see Mike Tomlin I can't help thinking Shaft.
- I'm thinking that even though the Bills lost, they will survive in the playoff chase. (come on, you knew that one was coming)
Monday Morning Coach
I don't see why more teams are not taking shots on Brady. Not illegal or cheap, but hitting him every time he drops back. The Cowboys and Colts both had some success with that to a point. If I'm a defensive coordinator I would be attacking him from all angles. The man had time to tie his cleats last night each time he passed. I know Brady is smart enough to get the ball to his hot reads, but if he keeps getting hit and you can knock Welker off his route, well I think that's the key to beating the Patriots. Who remembers when the Packers beat the 49ers in the NFC Championship game? Who remembers how they beat them? They mauled Rice at the line of scrimmage and did not allow him to get a clean route. Brady may hit the big play with Moss, but Welker is his bread-and-butter. Take Welker out of the game and keep hitting Brady, you have a good chance to beat them. But, what do I know; I'm just a hack with opinions.
Dysfunctional Team of the Week Award
This has to go to the Steelers. How the heck do you lose to one of the worse teams in the league? Don't give me any crap about how the Jets are improved or how they are better than their record. They were 1-8, that's the mark of a team that sucks. At this point in the season, if you are more than two games below .500, you stink. This game better be a wake-up call for the Steelers because if it is a harbinger of things to come, the Browns will end up winning the AFC North.
Points to Ponder
- i before e is absolutely crazy. Or maybe he's just funky. He'll let you decide.
- If Ricky winds up playing for the Fins, here is how Cameron is going to get production out of him. You know the camera that runs along the wires across the field? Well, he said that he would tie a dime-bag to the camera when they were on offense and let it zip to the other end zone. Ricky's liable to rush for 500 yards a game.
- I am going to try to eat my own weight in turkey.
- I loved the game between the Skins and Cowboys. What a classic NFC East battle.
- Ok, no more disco editions.
This is NOT how I think the playoffs will shake out. It is only how the teams are currently positioned for the playoffs this year and groups of teams that I don't think will make it. I have them listed in order of current seeding. Official NFL tie-breaker rules are in effect.
1. Patriots (10-0)
2. Colts (8-2)
3. Steelers (7-3)
4. Chargers (5-5)
5. Jags (7-3)
6. Titans (6-3)
Knocking on the door
7. Browns (6-4)
8. Bills (5-5)
With a bit of luck and if Jupiter aligns with Mars
9. Texans (5-5)
10. Chiefs (4-6)
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades. Better luck next year. I hope you have HDD to enjoy watching what you had such high hopes for at the end of the season.
1. Cowboys (9-1)
2. Packers (9-1)
3. Bucs (6-4)
4. Seahawks (6-4) How sad will it be when a wildcard has a better record?
5. Giants (7-3)
6. Lions (6-4)
Knocking on the door
7. Redskins (5-5)
8. Eagles (5-5)
With a bit of luck and Jupiter aligns with Mars
9. Cards (5-5)
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades. Better luck next year. I hope you have HDD to enjoy watching what you had such high hopes for at the beginning of the season.
For the rest of you, good luck next year. Make sure you pick well at the top of the draft
49ers (2-8) (well, except for you of course. I'm sure the Patriots will make nice use of a top 5 pick)
Coaches on the hot set
Billick (if he stays, I look for them to make a move for McNabb)
Childress (he can finally go back and teach gym at middle school)
Linehan (unles they finish 8-8, I don't see him coming back)
Lewis (I don't see how he can come back, he wasted a team with so much talent)
Stay tuned for my power rankings on Tuesday.
Thanks for reading.