I just wanted to throw something out there for everyone before tonight's game between the Cowboys and Packers.
I have been hearing the Cowboys could get lit up very easily bu Favre. I heard someone at school saying they put money down on the Pack winning because Favre would torch the Cowboys' secondary.
And as a Cowboys fan, I'll be honest. Our secondary has looked kinda bad at times, although some of that is due to them being heavily banged up this year. But anyway, I wanted to look up the numbers on defense, to see how the Cowboys did. I expected to see the Cowboys somewhere in the middle of the pack in most categories, aka most of the passing categories, but I was, to be honest, shocked by what I found:
Dallas's defensive stats-
- 15 points a game allowed over the last 5 weeks (20.1 for the season, good for 10th in the NFL)
- 7th in the NFL in sacks (and if the 3 intentional grounding penalties the Cowboys have forced counted as sacks, Dallas would be third in the NFL in sacks.)
- 2nd in picks
- 4th in the NFL in rush yards allowed, and tied for third in rush average allowed.
- Tied for fourth in the NFL in rushing touchdowns allowed
- 5th in the in opponent passer rating
- 3rd in opponent completion percentage
- 4th in yards allowed per play
And for those of you who say they are "prone" to the deep pass:
- 6th in the NFL in yards allowed per pass play
- Tied for 6th in the NFL in fewest pass plays of 40+ yards allowed
- Tied for 9th in 20+ yard pass plays allowed
Now obviously the game isn't played on paper, and stats can usually go out the window come game time. But for any of you who put down money on the Pack expecting to see Brett Favre torch a "poor" Cowboys secondary, you may wanna reconsider.