You know what I mean, its summertime, someone's got a barbecue going, epic game going on down at the court, little kids playing in the fire hydrant somebody cracked open, nobody's fighting, no dude's baby mom is kicking him out of the house, cops aren't harassing us, everyone is just having a good time. You're riding through the city, your girl/homie/little brother/whoever riding shotgun, and you're just cruising. This calls for a special playlist: The Cruising Mixtape.
1. Busta Rhymes ft/ Rick James, In the Ghetto. One of my favorite songs of all time. They way the beat sounds, with Busta's low, fast flow, Rick James' legendary voice, plus little kids singing in the background makes this the perfect song for just crusing.
2. Dr. Dre ft/ Snoop Dogg, Still D.R.E.. This song has kind of a heavy flow, but has a beat that almost forces you to nod your head while listening. One of the best songs, not just hip-hop, but period, of all-time.
3. Playaz Circle ft/ Lil Wayne, Duffle Bag Boy. Top song of '07. Lil Wayne on the hook, plus a catchy flow from Titi Boi and Dolla Boi makes this a perfect song, if you're in a car show for example. I will explain this car show shortly.
4. Ludacris ft/ Playaz Circle, Two Miles an Hour. In a ghetto car show, the point is to drive "two miles an hour so everybody sees you". People get in their '64s or whatever the got, ride through the block real slow, and get judged by everyone. The winner gets bragging rights. No trophy because, well, it would either get stolen or pawned. One of the most anticipated days of the year. Ours is usually over the 4th of July weekend.
5. The Game, Let's Ride. This song has my favorite beat of all time. When the chorus gets started, the violins get heavy, and even if you don't like rap, you have to appreciate Game's work on that beat.
6. Black Star, Definition. No explanation needed.
7. Fabolous, Make Me Better. I hated Fab until this song came out. Ne-Yo is good on the hook, and this is the right song, but only if your girl is in the car. I was hooping at THE John White Park (Youngstown STAND UP!!!!) and this guy rolled up playing this, but with no girl in the car. It was a tad bit queer.
8. DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince, Summertime. Lets be honest. Will Smith sucked as a rapper. But this song introduced the phrase "two miles an hour" and captured the essence of a summer day in the inner-city.
9. The Notorious B.I.G., Living The Life. My favorite Biggie song. Impossible (if you like rap) to not like this one. A remix featuring Ludacris and Snoop just made it better
10. Cassidy, My Drink 'N My 2 Step. Not exactly a riding song, but perfect for a smooth ride. Cass proved that he's back, this is even on my mom's iPod and she hates rap.
11. T.I., Why You Wanna. Just a really fun song.
12. Lupe Fiasco, The Emporer's Soundtrack. Words can't do this song justice, it is that crazy. So I shall put up just a little bit of the lyrics:
"I only fear God, Know the weapons of the weak, and the weakness of the heart, and never fall asleep"
I apologize to your favorite rapper for not includung him. This is just songs with a smooth beat and a cold flow.