This is a pic of my wife and son at his first gator game. He loved the lights and sounds and took it all in. His name is Riley Cooper Hostetler...so he better love Gator football
Week 2 was full of suprises, goal line stands, and major upsets. I love college football and what it brings to us in the form of excitement and tradition. Week 2 rocked and was considered a slow week compared to what we have coming in week 3.
Props to FIU for beating LOUISVILLE. Charlie Strong has a long way to go and it shows when FIU gets the jump on you. FIU started strong and held off a fierce Louisville comeback. FIU will win the sunbelt conference if they play like that all year. FIU Ty Hilton will help get it done for them. I might watch some sunbelt games this year.
Now onto some thoughts and side notes:
1) People will tell you Arizona State is back with a win over Missouri. I stayed up to 2am watching the game and saw an Arizona state team dominate the first half and a desperate team holding on in the 2nd half and overtime. If not for a missed Missouri Field goal then ASU would have been back to "maybe next year" chant. Missouri QB FRANKLIN needs some work. He is a poor man's Cam Newton. He wants to run and not pass first when he drops back. He had some nice plays but needs alot of work. I like Gary Pinkel and know he will get this problem worked out.
2) Auburn looks like its usual self. Playing close until the end and some how finding a way to win. I think thats how it will be all year for them but not the same results as last year! Gene Chizik will probably get the same results as 2 years ago. 8 wins will be a stretch. What a goal line stand for Auburn's defense. Mississippi State needs to throw the ball with no timeouts left and in that situation. What a game. Mississippi State is going to suprise some people but still has alot of work to do if thats how you handle a rebuilding Auburn. Dan Mullen might not be around there long enough to see Mississippi State turn the corner because bigger BCS schools will take note of what he is doing with lesser talent in the Rough SEC WEST.
3) I think I need a whole blog to talk about the Notre Dame vs Michigan game. First night game ever at Michigan and what a way to play it. I felt Notre Dame turned the corner and really was ready to put Michigan away in the first half,...oh wait, Michigan has Denard Robinson and he doesnt like to put Notre Dame away until the final 2 minutes of the game. I really wonder about that "great" Notre Dame defense. The way they did things in the final 2 minutes. WHAT?!?!? Notre Dame, the echoes are gone. The schedule is even worse in 2012. The Notre Dame QB controversy is over. Despite the loss Brian Kelly has found his starting QB.
On a double side note: Michigan was excited to see their rival Ohio State struggle to put away Toledo. The weakness of Ohio State showed during that game and showed how much those suspended starters are missed. With Miami Next week it will be a great game. I think Miami will win the game by double digits vs Ohio State.
4) In other news, despite what Nick Saban says, Alabama has found it's starting QB. With SEC play coming up, Saban better let AJ Mccarron know he better be able to rock. Yes, Saban says its still up in the air...FALSE!!! Mccarron managed the game in a big time atmosphere with a big time crowd cheering against him. Bama's defense will keep them in the game as long as they need to while the QB situation gets settled.
5) With FSU and Oklahoma having the week off to prepare, it should be a great game. Oh wait FSU played a game. Against who? Oh yeah Charleston Southern. I guess it was a game. This game will give both teams a chance to state their case for National Title hopes. FSU can show they are "back", while Oklahoma can show why they will be in New Orleans come January.
6) How about that South Carolina @ Georgia Game. Georgia looked as though it was ready to save Richt's job but blew it in the end. Georgia's defense did well but it was the other Georgia parts giving up TD's to South Carolina that cost them the game. (special teams-fake punt for TD or QB sack fumbling the ball and it leading to a TD) South Carolina has been starting slow but seems to find a groove in the second half. I still do not know what to make of South Carolina. Come SEC play, any slow start could bury you for the rest of the game. I looked over Georgia's schedule and can still see them winning 8 games. They will have to play their hearts out but it could happen. Love watching SEC play...so much at stake (money)! South Carolina has the potential to win the SEC EAST no problem.
7) Being a Gator I will mention this. Gator's will win some games this year if they can turn Redzone trips into Touchdowns. To many field goals being kicked in the redzone. No can do if you want to win games vs tougher teams later this season. Alot of hype and excitement for this year's Tennessee/Florida game. Tennessee has an offense that is rolling while Florida is still searching for an identity. Tennessee has not won since 2004 and this could be their best chance to do it while Florida is in transition. I will be at that game. Let you know my thoughts.
8) Alot of people are probably gonna hold off on claiming Nebraska BIG-10 champs now after watching them struggle vs Fresno State. Pat Hill takes on teams any where, any time. I was not suprised to see Fresno State hang in their for so long. It is better something like this happens now to Nebraska so they can come off Cloud 9 before BIG-10 play begins and also with a pesky Washington team coming to town this week. Bo Pelini will scream his boys back on the right track. (Don't overlook Washington just like you did in the Bowl game)
9) Virginia Tech showed it is not perfect and has some bugs to work out since they kept it close vs ECU. ECU is a good team but VT should be the better team and be able to put them away. VT will probably still win their division but their are a few **** in the armor right now. BEAMER BALL will kick in and make things right!
10) Texas QB controversy still? Looks like Mccoy and Shipley will become a hot item again in Austin this season. Texas barely pulled a win out against BYU thanks to a 3rd down missed tackle. Texas still showed that have some growing to do but with the way the Big-8...I mean Big-10...I mean Big-12 is playing right now, they will win some games.
11) BCS buster side note that you should follow. UCF is playing FIU this weekend. Both teams are coming off wins over BCS schools and looking very well on both defense and offense. Who do you pick? I think UCF will get this win but FIU will still go on to a good season! The Big East should pick up UCF while they have a chance.
This Top 25 will really start shaking up this week with so many Top 25 teams going at it and conference play about to begin. Oklahoma will beat Florida State this weekend and clear the way for Boise State to jump one spot. Bama or LSU will knock the other one out of play for the title giving Boise State another notch up in the rankings. Before you know it we will have a Fiest Bowl rematch of Boise State vs Oklahoma in the Title game this year. That would be crazy.
I enjoy watching football and giving my thought about it. If you have any comments feel free to leave them. Look forward to hearing from you all season now onto some picks for this weekend.
OU beats FSU 41-24
LSU wins a close one over MSU 27-17
Maryland will upset West Virginia 38-31
Notre Dame will get their first win of the season over Michigan State 28-17
Miami beats Ohio State 34-20
Florida gets over its redzone problems and wins 31-30 over Tennessee
BYU wins the HOLY WAR vs UTAH 24-10 which might be their final meeting for a long time.
Texas over UCLA 35-13....Rick just cant get his Bruins going.
Thats all for now. Your picks? what game do you look most forward to this week?