Soccer  > General Soccer  > Suazo, Monterrey rally to defeat Seattle
September 23, 2010, 11:00 AM
MONTERREY, Mexico -- Chilean international Humberto Suazo came off the bench to set up a pair of goals and scored another in span of four minutes in the second half as Monterrey rallied from a two-goal deficit to defeat Seattle Sounders FC, 3-2, in a CONCACAF Champions League Group C match at Estadio Tecnologico Wednesday night.

The Rayados now has 12 points from its first four matches and can book its ticket into the knockout stage with a Saprissa win or tie against Marathon in a match scheduled for later Wednesday night.

Suazo entered the match in the 63rd minute, replacing William Paredes and he immediately made a major impact on the match.

Seattle goalkeeper Terry Boss dived to his right to save Suazo's dipping attempt, but Aldo De Nigris, who was also a second-half substitute, pounced on the rebound to cut Monterrey's deficit to 3-1 in the 74th minute.

One minute later, De Nigris turned provider with a clever back-heel to Suazo, who put his low shot from the edge of the 18-yard box inside the far post to equalize.

Suazo wasn't done there, racing in on goal moments later. Despite Jamaican international Tyrone Marshall keeping pace, Boss came off his line and tripped Suazo, giving Salvadoran referee Marlon Mejia no choice but to point to the spot.

Luis Ernesto Perez struck his attempt high and to the left of Boss, capping a remarkable comeback for Monterrey, which trailed 2-0 at the half.

Seldom-used Michael Fucito played a part in both Sounders FC first-half goals. The midfielder's low shot from the top of the 18-yard box was redirected by Sergio Perez by the penalty spot and beat a helpless Jonathan Orozco in the 28th minute. The own goal gave Seattle a 1-0 lead and snapped a CONCACAF Champions League goalless streak of 281 minutes.

Fucito doubled Seattle's lead one minute before halftime, capping an impressive sequence of passes when he took Nate Jaqua's through ball and tapped it past Orozco with the outside of his right foot from 11 meters.

Jaqua had the first scoring chance of the match, but his header at the corner of the six-yard box sailed over the crossbar on 10 minutes.

Eight minutes after the own goal, Walter Ayovi ran into space and had an open attempt at goal, but he bounced the ball wide to Boss' right.

In the 39th minute, Ayovi sent a cross toward the back post where Paredes headed it back across the goal, but Boss palmed the ball away.

The lead held up through most of the second half and Seattle was not only 20 minutes from its first group stage victory, which would have kept its slim hopes of advancement alive, but also the first victory for an MLS squad on Mexican soil.

Suazo, though, spoiled the party and Major League Soccer's winless streak extends to 21 matches (0-18-3).

With nothing but pride to play for, Seattle returns to Group C play back at Qwest Field against Marathon on Sept. 29, while Monterrey faces Saprissa at the Monster's Cave a night earlier.


Remember to keep your posts clean. Profanity will get filtered, and offensive comments will be removed.

Truth & Rumors


  1. 1
    Woodson's next job
  2. 2
    'Melo wants to be wooed (like, Howard wooed)
  3. 3
    Lee on the Yankees' radar (Burnett, too)
  4. 4
    Farrell defends Fenway's 'sleep room'
  5. 5
    Rangers pegged as unsportsmanlike divers

SI Photos