Each afternoon, we'll pass along some of the most salvagable items from our cutting-room floor. Send along suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Dwayne Johnson hosted Saturday Night Live for the third time over the weekend, playing the straight man on the night's lone sports-related sketch.
• It's sled dog racing season and Alan Taylor of the Boston Globe has compiled this collection of eye-popping photography from recent races and training sessions around the Northern Hemisphere. [The Big Picture]
• A German striker faces trouble for advertising during a goal celebration. [The Spoiler]
• Criggo never disappoints with sophomoric headline humor. [Criggo]
• David Beckham might not want to play Major League Soccer -- but he sure wouldn't mind owning a U.S. team someday. [Goal/The New York Times]
• "Golf-equipment makers Callaway and Titleist exchanged lawsuits this week over the humble golf ball. Sportswriter Stefan Fatsis talks about the $6 billion golf-equipment business and the golf-ball technology at the heart of the lawsuits." [NPR.org]
• Ron Ricci, co-chairman of high-tech leader Cisco, spoke with the Boston Globe for a story on the ways cutting edge technology will enhance the fan experience at sporting events in the future.