Hot Stove News Tracker

The Latest Buzz from around the Majors

Heyman_jon
Views
86068
Comments
255
Mark-teixeira
The Mark Teixeira sweepstakes have taken another twist.
Jeff Zelevansky/SI

The Angels are out of the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes, SI.com has confirmed.

"We have withdrawn our offer as of this afternoon," team spokesman Tim Mead said Sunday. The Angels' initial offer was believed to be for in excess of $160 million over eight years.

The Red Sox, Nationals, Orioles and Yankees are believed to still be in the running for Teixeira's services. While the Red Sox said last week that they "are not going to be a factor" in the bidding for the 28-year-old slugger, they have not removed their offer and are still interested in signing him.

The Angels obtained Teixeira from the Braves on July 29 for first baseman Casey Kotchman and a minor league pitcher. Playing in a combined 157 games with the Angels and Braves, Teixeira had 33 homers and 121 RBIs along with a career-best .308 average.

Yahoo! Sports.com was the first to report the Angels' decision.

Comment

Remember to keep your posts clean. Profanity will get filtered, and offensive comments will be removed.


Truth & Rumors

MOST POPULAR

  1. 1
    Woodson's next job
    Views
    4654
    Comments
    1102
  2. 2
    Lee on the Yankees' radar (Burnett, too)
    Views
    11504
    Comments
    532
  3. 3
    Rangers pegged as unsportsmanlike divers
    Views
    2902
    Comments
    276
  4. 4
    Heat rising on new sheriff Quintal
    Views
    3812
    Comments
    122
  5. 5
    Geno insists he'll beat out Vick
    Views
    5669
    Comments
    83

SI.com

SI Photos