The Angels are out of the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes, SI.com has confirmed.
"We have withdrawn our offer as of this afternoon," team spokesman Tim Mead said Sunday. The Angels' initial offer was believed to be for in excess of $160 million over eight years.
The Red Sox, Nationals, Orioles and Yankees are believed to still be in the running for Teixeira's services. While the Red Sox said last week that they "are not going to be a factor" in the bidding for the 28-year-old slugger, they have not removed their offer and are still interested in signing him.
The Angels obtained Teixeira from the Braves on July 29 for first baseman Casey Kotchman and a minor league pitcher. Playing in a combined 157 games with the Angels and Braves, Teixeira had 33 homers and 121 RBIs along with a career-best .308 average.
Yahoo! Sports.com was the first to report the Angels' decision.