Just to make something clear, I love college football. I'm also a big fan of minor league baseball. And the NBA D-League. But as great as college football is, it can't compete with the big boys of the NFL. So, with all due respect to my colleague Stewart Mandel and his argument that college is better than pro, here are 10 reasons the NFL rules:
1. NFL has better players: Why care more about smaller, slower, less skilled players?
2. NFL has a legitimate playoff system: Judges decide ice skating, not real sports. The BCS is an embarrassment.
3. Level playing field: NFL now has more parity than any pro league. I could tell you college's preseason top 10 for 2012 right now because it will be exactly the same as this year's. How many times do we have to see Texas beat up Rice or Notre Dame kill Navy? It's too hard to crack into the elite level of college football.
4. NFL is national, not regional: Every real sports fan knows the QB of every NFL team. Can you name the starter at Mississippi? Iowa State? Oregon? Syracuse? Baylor?
5. Super Sunday: A great excuse to eat chili and drink beer. College's national championship game used to be fun when it was on New Year's Day, but not on a random Wednesday in mid-January.
6. Passing: There's a reason they don't run the option in the NFL. Nothing is better than a Chargers-Dolphins 1981 AFC playoffs-type aerial show. And 98 percent of college teams can't deliver that.
7. The Draft: Not only can you imagine how your team is going to build a champion, you get to see college pretty boys like Brady Quinn sweat in the green room, which is almost as dramatic as an actual game.
8. Fantasy football: I used to believe any game without a ball wasn't a sport. Now, I think any sport that doesn't have fantasy doesn't count. Fantasy college football is in its infancy stages, while NFL is the king of the fantasy empire.
9. Da da da da: Monday Night Football is the one thing the founders of our nation truly got right. And it's safe to watch again now that Joe Theismann is gone.
10. Sundays need football more: On Saturdays, I like to go to Home Depot and Bed Bath and Beyond if there's time. I don't need football. Without the NFL on Sunday, I'd be on suicide watch one day a week.