Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin will drop the ceremonial first puck when the Flyers open the regular season against the Rangers on Saturday.
Flyers owner Ed Snider is a John McCain supporter and Pennsylvania, of course, is considered a key battleground state. Palin, meanwhile, is not just running for VP, but the Alaska governor is also the world’s most famous hockey mom.
Here’s some of what we expect will be overheard Saturday night at the Wachovia Center in Philly:
10. “Nice to meet you, can I call you Jean-Pierre?”
9. “I wouldn’t mind a five-minute misconduct with her, if you know what I mean”
8. “Look, it’s the next Vice President of the Wasilla PTA!”
7. “What’s the difference between a hockey mom and a pig? Wait, that’s not right”
6. “Obama must explain why he pals around with goons”
5. “Why don’t you sell your right wing on eBay?”
4. “Nobody’s pulled off glasses that well since the Hanson brothers”
3. “Wow, that defenseman’s big enough to shoot and field-dress”
2. “Sure, ‘Flyers' is a fine name, but how ‘bout ‘Mavericks’?”
1. “Hey, it’s Tina Fey!”