Wow, Aaron Rodgers played so well last night that I've forgotten all about ol' What's His Name:
• Michelle Wie will enter the LPGA's qualifying school. She's focusing her preparation on chipping, putting and the rest of the gerunds.
• It's official: Patriots QB Tom Brady is out for the season with a knee injury. So far the team insists it hasn't brought in any veterans to challenge Matt Cassel, though the Pats did secretly film Chris Simms at home playing catch with his daughter.
• Brett Favre's opening-game performance has landed him on the cover of this week's SI ("Brett the Jet"), but critics note that one of his TD passes came on a Hail Mary-like toss. In fact, had he thrown the ball straight up in the air like that in the Pac-10, it would have been an automatic 15-yard penalty.
• The Astana cycling team says that if indeed Lance Armstrong makes a rumored comeback to the Tour de France, it won't be with them as had been reported. Can't say I blame them. I mean, nobody looks good in yellow.
• Mario Chalmers, the Heat newcomer who was kicked out of the NBA's rookie symposium, is denying numerous reports that he was using marijuana. Kansas's championship game hero claims he was just burning the part of the net he cut down.
• The Red Sox set a record last night by selling out Fenway Park for the 456th straight game. Of course, the franchise long ago set the mark for most consecutive tuneless sing-alongs to Sweet Caroline.
• Ashton Kutcher is reportedly moonlighting as an assistant football coach at an L.A. prep school. So far he's been a big help, except he keeps demanding the team change its name to the Cougars. Apparently he has a thing for them.
• Olympic champion Usain Bolt returned to a hero's welcome yesterday in his native Jamaica. Of course, he would have gotten there quicker if he didn't start celebrating early.
• 10 Spot Real World Gathering Reminder: It's this Saturday, Sept. 13. See this thread for more details. Plenty of good seats still available. Don't miss the fun! Or I may have to hunt you down!