To those who say the Lock of the Week is the biggest laugh of all, I say: Ha!
• The NFL has decided that the Bengals WR formerly known as Chad Johnson will be able to wear "Ocho Cinco" on the back of his jersey since that's now his legal surname. Personally, the 10 Spot thinks that's stupid. What an ego on that guy!
• The Mets are selling seats from Shea Stadium, which is being torn down after the season, at $869 a pair. Of course, the seats might well collapse.
• The Yankees' Jason Giambi is sporting a shiner on his right eye because, he says, he banged into his bathroom door at the team hotel. Evidently he caught sight of himself in the bathroom mirror wearing that gold lamé thong. That'd give anyone a fright.
• The LPGA has backed off on its English-only rule. The tour decided it would be impossible to enforce given that nobody interviews LPGA players anyway.
• A British bookmaker has laid 10,000-1 odds on a London businessman's bet of 10 pounds that Barack Obama will replace the current manager of the West Ham soccer team. Wait, is "manager" like a "community organizer"? I might want in on that action.
• Lock of the Week -- The NFL offseason story that has provided the most 10 Spot fodder has, of course, been the Brett Favre Saga. Thus it's only right that we wade in on the gunslinger's return from retirement for the season's first LOW. (Question: Does it still count as a "retirement" when a player only misses the only part of the year when there aren't any games anyway? Maybe everyone else in the NFL was retired too, and we just didn't know it.) We're not sure how much magic Favre still has in his soon-to-be 39-year-old right arm, but we do think it's enough to enable the Jets to cover a 3-point spread at Miami, which will be quarterbacked by former Jet Chad Pennington. As SI wise man Peter King noted earlier this week, the Jets really need this one since they face the Patriots and Chargers (on the road) the next two weeks. New Dolphins poohbah Bill Parcells and coach Tony Sparano may well clean up the mess in Miami, but not in Week One.
• If you're hoping to make the 10 Spot Real-World Gathering on Saturday, Sept. 13, please look here to sign up.