Here are some morsels to savor as you wonder what year it is that Kerry Collins is the starting QB for the only undefeated team in the NFL:
• Cowboys QB Tony Romo will miss four weeks after breaking his pinkie. Jessica Simpson said if it really meant that much to her boyfriend, she’d be happy to lend him hers. Though it turned out she was talking about his “binkie.”
• The Phillies took a 3-1 lead over the Dodgers in the NLCS after a come-from-behind 7-5 win Monday night in Los Angeles capped by a four-run eighth inning. Most Dodgers fans could only sit motionless during the late Philly rally. But give them a break -- they were still stuck in freeway traffic.
• The Colts have finally acknowledged that, back in the summer, QB Peyton Manning had a second surgery. Apparently it was performed with a magic scalpel up on the grassy knoll.
• Clemson’s Tommy Bowden resigned on Monday after a disappointing 3-3 start. Just goes to show that you can’t keep hiring these punk kids as head coaches. Right, Bobby Bowden?
• The fan who caught the final home run ball in Yankee Stadium, hit by catcher Jose Molina, will sell it at auction this weekend. We’re hearing that Molina really wants the ball. He’s even willing to barter one of the other Molina brothers.
• Joey Chestnut downed 45 slices of pizza in 10 minutes on Sunday to win for first Famous Famiglia World Pizza Eating Championship in New York. Then on Sunday, Chestnut received skin grafts to repair the massive burns on the top of his mouth.
• Magic Johnson has reportedly joined ESPN and ABC as a studio analyst this season. But come on -- how do we know he won’t be faking it?
• A Florida high school football team is taking heat for winning 91-0 over the weekend. Really, give them a break. Isn’t a relief for Floridians to resolve contests decisively on their own without getting the courts involved?