Here are some nuggets as you prepare to catch the end of the first 50-hour World Series game:
• Game 5 of the World Series is scheduled to resume tonight with the score tied 2-2 in the middle of the sixth. The Phillies, of course, are still just one win away from clinching the title, as they have been for three days now. Man, this is making the presidential election seem quick.
• The start of tonight’s game will be delayed so that Fox, like CBS and NBC, can air a half-hour infomercial paid for by Barack Obama. Meanwhile, ABC is rolling out its new variety show starring Joe The Plumber.
• Tonight’s weather forecast is for chilly temperatures in the upper 30s. It might even freeze the open mustard packets the Phillies fans are tossing at the Rays’ families in the stands. Ouch.
• The 5 ½ innings that aired on Monday were the lowest-rated ever for a Game 5. Fox is getting desperate. Now the network's demanding that MLB replace the home-plate umpire with Dr. House. That should speed things up, anyway. House has no patience for pitchers who nibble.
• Portland rookie center Greg Oden lasted less than 13 minutes in his NBA debut last night before injuring his foot. He actually wanted to get back on the floor for the second half, but his Rascal wasn’t ready yet.
• The 2010 NBA All-Star Game will be played in the Cowboys’ new stadium. In fact, T.O. is already planning the fit he’ll pitch if he doesn’t make the team.
• A Saints offensive lineman has filed a suit against a diet-pill maker. It seems he’s mad they didn’t turn him into a running back.