The five boroughs shut down on Sunday for the annual running of the New York City Marathon. Paula Radcliffe of Great Britain won the women’s race for the third time while Brazil’s Marilson Gomes dos Santos came from behind in the final mile to take the men’s crown.
Another 39,000 or so runners finished somewhere other than first. That doesn’t count the two million or so fans who lined the route or the millions more who watched on TV. So in true 10 Spot fashion, let’s hear it for the non-winners.
Here are some of the signs that you probably weren’t going to win the marathon:
10. You’re a bailed-out CEO trailed by a golden parachute
9. Like T.O., you stop every 10 yards to celebrate
8. You spent last night in a Hooters with John Daly
7. Trained for marathon by Laurence Olivier
6. Only marathon experience came watching Law & Order
5. Your strength-of-schedule is weak -- oops, that’s the BCS
4. You learned how to draft from Matt Millen
3. You improperly set the volume on your clock-radio
2. You get winded just saying “ING New York City Marathon”
1. Your last run was with DMC