So did the Pistons acquire AI for his practice habits?
• A plane pulling a banner saying “McCain is a Raiders fan” circled over Denver’s Invesco Field on Sunday before the start of the Dolphins-Broncos game. When word got back to Oakland, though, Al Davis said he didn’t care what that punk kid McCain thought.
• The previously winless Bengals got off the schneid by beating the Jaguars 21-19 behind two TDs catches by WR Chad Ocho Cinco. And this is nice -- he's now changing his name to Uno y Ocho.
• The Lions nearly joined Cincinnati in winning their first game, but the Bears rallied for a 10-point deficit behind back-up QB Rex Grossman to win 27-23. And in even more good news for at least one Bears fan, the unbeaten Titans received a game-winning FG in OT from Rob Bironas. Thank heavens he’s safe!
• The 7-1 Giants dominated the injury-ravaged Cowboys 35-14 to drop Dallas to last place in the NFC East at 5-4 heading into its bye week. Hey, nothing 10 or 20 margaritas in Cabo can’t cure.
• Texas Tech zoomed up to No. 2 in the BCS standings after upsetting top-ranked Texas on a TD pass with one second to play. Now the road to the national championship runs through Lubbock. Which actually makes it the first major road that does so.
• Tennessee football coach Phil Fulmer will reportedly step down after the season. Let’s just hope the step’s pretty sturdy.
• John Daly says the night he spent in jail for reportedly passing out drunk at a Hooters was just a simple misunderstanding; his friends didn’t realize he sometimes sleeps with his eyes open. Hey, at this point, that’s no less believable than that this joker somehow won two majors.
• Programming note: Caption This will be held on Monday and Wednesday this week. This Thursday afternoon marks the return of the Write Your Own Joke contest, with the results posted on Friday morning.