Here are some morsels to tide you over until supper:
• Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis is hinting he may get more involved in the team’s play-calling. He said the key is to be super-aggressive when the opportunity presents itself, like extorting a huge contract extension after your only good season. Weis quickly added, “Did I just say that out loud?”
• No. 1 Alabama held off LSU 27-21 in OT on Saturday in Nick Saban’s return to Baton Rouge with the Crimson Tide. Saban was relieved to avoid a crushing loss since he’d already used up the comparisons to 9/11 and Pearl Harbor. Really, what’s left?
• Brett Favre and the Jets clobbered the mistake-prone Rams 47-3. OK, I’ve got to hand it to ol’ Brett -- that one probably was gosh-darn fun.
• ABC cut away from the conclusion of Sunday’s NASCAR race to show America’s Funniest Home Videos. Interesting; people never get tired of watching accidents and mishaps. Wait, which one are we talking about again?
• Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte has filed for free agency, but he says he still hopes to return to the team. Come on, the guy is the ultimate team player. Why, he even selflessly took HGH just so he could rehab more quickly from an injury and get back on the field with the guys. Then he had the courage to admit it!
• The final table at the World Series of Poker was cut to four last night. Man, they’re still playing that thing? I remember when poker season would be over by early October. Now it just drags on and on.