Here are some morsels to savor as you wonder why it's only the rich guys who get juicy insider info instead of us poor schlubs:
• Federal regulators have charged Mavericks owner Mark Cuban with insider trading. Bad news for Cuban. I don’t think he even has any striped T-shirts.
• The Steelers beat the Chargers in the first 11-10 game in NFL history yesterday, but officials mistakenly disallowed a Pittsburgh defensive TD on the game’s last play that would have covered the spread. Or as a relieved Ed Hochuli dubbed it, a “makeup call.”
• The Eagles and the Bengals deadlocked at 13 in the first tie game in the NFL since 2002. In fact, it had been so long that Eagles QB Donovan McNabb said he didn’t even know a game could end in a tie. He thought it kept going until one of the QBs throws up.
• One Detroit newspaper is openly worrying about whether the city could lose the Lions. At least it’s a nice switch for the Lions to be the object of the verb “lose,” rather than the subject.
• A Japanese professional baseball league has drafted a 16-year-old girl with a dynamite knuckleball. I’m telling you, her pitch really dances. I hear they call it the Sushi Samba.
• Chinese officials have sentenced a man who scalped Olympics tickets to 2 ½ years in jail. Hey, at least the guy appears to be older than 14. That’s a start, anyway.
• Pilfered joke of the day: Office mate Stew Mandel received an email this morning with the following funny that’s been making the Internet rounds among the many feeling schadenfreude at the struggles of Rich Rodriguez and Michigan. “Just heard a report that they cancelled the Michigan-Ohio State game this year. The game was to be held in Columbus, but Michigan can’t get past Toledo.”