Controversy continues to grow over the ill-fated call at the end of Sunday’s Steelers-Chargers game. For those living in a cave, Pittsburgh’s Troy Polamalu scooped up a desperation lateral to score a TD on the final play of the game that would have made the final score at least 17-10 (or 18-10 after a PAT). Also, Obama won.
The officials, of course, overturned the score -- incorrectly, it turns out -- so the game finished in an 11-10 Steelers victory. That also meant that Pittsburgh failed to cover the point spread, which caused an estimated $64 million to change hands in Las Vegas.
Clearly, this story isn’t going away. That’s why we did some digging. Here’s some of what our spies overheard as the officials gathered in that now-infamous powwow:
10. “Oh, you wanted us to fix the gain”
9. “No way I’m letting that long-hair score a TD on my watch”
8. “If only the rulebook would allow us to declare a tie”
7. “Don’t worry, I’m sure most sensible people will conclude we’re not corrupt, but simply inept”
6. “Haven’t Chargers fans suffered enough from Norv Turner?”
5. “All my life I’ve dreamed of officiating an 11-10 game”
4. “I didn’t see anything illegal either, I just wanted to huddle for warmth”
3. “I vote for ‘giving him the business’”
2. “I’m not proud about this, but have you seen my 401(k) statement?”
1. “I don’t really care as long as it doesn’t screw the LOW”