By Jay Christensen, TheWizOfOdds.com
· Bret McMurphy, Tampa Tribune: Central Florida fans got the cell phone number for South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe and bombarded him with hundreds of calls and text messages before Saturday's game. Grothe's father, Matt Sr., received a death threat and the family was protected by state troopers during the game.
· Paul Strelow, Columbia State: Sophomore tight end Brian Linthicum, who started Clemson's opener against Alabama, appears on the verge of transferring. And sophomore left tackle Chris Hairston was injured Saturday night in a moped accident.
· Michael Hunt, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Wisconsin's Bret Bielema says his team is ready for Saturday's showdown at Fresno State. "Can't wait to get out there," he said. "I've got all the respect for them, but that game is going to be decided by what we do."
· Jeff Shain, Miami Herald: The 12 players suspended for Florida State's opener against Western Carolina were not allowed on the sideline and thought to be sequestered in the coaches' offices, where they watched the game.
· Mike DeArmond, Kansas City Star: Missouri is planning to start a campaign to help the Heisman chances of quarterback Chase Daniel.
· Brian Christopherson, Lincoln Journal Star: Nebraska senior defensive end Barry Turner broke a bone in his left leg against San Jose State. He's likely done for the season.