Jay Christensen produces TheWizOfOdds.com.
• Mike Kern, Philadelphia Daily News: There are few givens in college football, but Penn State could be looking at a 12-0 regular season if it can get past Ohio State in two weeks.
• J.P. Giglio, Raleigh News & Observer: North Carolina has lost its best player, Brandon Tate. The senior playmaker will miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL in his right knee.
• Robbi Pickeral, Raleigh News & Observer: Two controversial calls from the replay booth in the final minutes of North Carolina's 29-24 victory over Notre Dame were accurate, the Atlantic Coast Conference coordinator of football officials said.
• FireRRod.com: That didn't take long. A site asking that Michigan fire Rich Rodriguez when the contract of Louisiana State's Les Miles expires.
• John Adams, Knoxville News-Sentinel: Fan are paying more than ever to follow Tennessee football, and coach Phillip Fulmer is being paid more for less. No wonder fewer fans are going to Neyland Stadium.
• Jim Moore, Seattle Post-Intelligencer: How bad is Washington State? The Cougars' kickoff to start the second half that went out of bounds was marred by a personal foul penalty. "How you can get a personal-foul penalty on an out-of-bounds kickoff is as mystifying as this 1-6 season."
• Tom Luicci, Newark Star-Ledger: Among candidates to become the Big East's next commissioner: Tom Pernetti, the executive vice president for content at the CBS College Sports Network; Kevin Weiberg, former Big 12 commissioner; Kevin Tribble, Central Florida athletic director and Christine Plonsky, University of Texas associate athletic director.
• Norman Chad: It's time to lay off Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden.