Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images
Jay Christensen produces The Wiz Of Odds.
• Brett McMurphy, Tampa Tribune: What has gone wrong at South Florida, and has coach Jim Leavitt taken the Bulls as far as he can?
• Bill Cole, Winston-Salem Journal: Yet another indication there are too many bowl games. Duke players are actually talking about playing in a postseason game.
• Austin American-Statesman: Texas' game at Texas Tech was ABC's most-viewed college football game this year and network's fifth-most viewed ever.
• Brad Rock, Deseret News: Times have changed in Utah. Remember the days when local colleges quaintly avoided home games on the opening of the deer hunt? Almost everywhere is a "football school" nowadays.
• Austin Ward, Casper Star-Tribune: Wyoming players are getting a crash course in Tennessee's unofficial fight song, Rocky Top, which was played 12 consecutive times during practice on Tuesday. "I think I can't get it out of my head," quarterback Chris Stutzriem said. "I mean, we've heard it all day. Weight room, in here [inside at practice] ... But now we're starting to get sick of it."
• Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Add Joe Paterno to the list of coaches expressing their desire for a playoff. "Is it the BCS or the BSC, I don't know," he said.
• Doug Zaleski, Muncie Star-Press: Former Ball State receiver Dante Love said he dreamed about being in the hospital before taking the hit that injured his spine and ended his playing career. "I always had weird dreams. I had a dream that one day I was in the hospital, and everybody was freaking out. When it happened, it was like I had seen it before. I was hoping it wasn't that serious, but I was kind of like prepared."
• Bud Withers, Seattle Times: Never has the Pacific 10 -- the league that defined great quarterbacking -- been as outright awful at it as in 2008.
• Bill Plaschke, Los Angeles Times: USC has no one to blame but itself for its current Bowl Championship Series predicament.
• David Wharton, Los Angeles Times: UCLA has suspended three players for Saturday's game against Oregon State.